Can't install linux-headers-2.6.38-liquorix-amd64
monkiki
Reply Quote
Today there was an update for my liquorix kernel from 2.6.37 to 2.6.38, but I can't install the new linux-headers-2.6.38-1.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 because depends on gcc-4.5 which is a virtual package.

DMKS need the kernel headers to build update modules for VirtualBox, for example.

I'm on Debian Squeeze.
monkiki
Reply Quote
Or looking the problem from another point-of-view: how can I install gcc-4.5 under Debian Squeeze?
damentz
Reply Quote
I build these kernels to run on Debian Sid with Debian Testing coat tailing close behind. Debian Squeeze or Stable is for computers that cannot risk changes to the core packages they run. If you want to use a modern kernel, you'll also need to run a modern branch of Debian.

Also note that newer kernels often depend on newer user space. After a few months you may even have trouble running X with KMS of all things. But that's playing devil's advocate; I don't run stable so I don't have any first hand experience with those issues.
monkiki
Reply Quote
Is gcc 4.4 capable of build kernel 2.6.38? This would be a nice option for people like me. I will try to compile your kernel patched sources.
monkiki
Reply Quote
For now, I will remain in kernel 2.6.37 which seems to work pretty well with Debian Squeeze. Thanks!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There's no need to add the latest kernel if the previous one is working fine, a stable OS is supposed to be stable, and newer kernels as damentz noted, are not stable relative to the stable package pool (nor are the stable relative to expected functionality of that system).

So staying with the previous version is a fine solution, for my part, it's good to note that this is now the cutoff point basically for liquorix kernels + squeeze, I wasn't sure when that would happen.
dbkblk
Reply Quote
So, if we cannot update Squeeze with liquorix kernels anymore, is this possible to let the latest 2.6.37 kernel into the "past" branch even when 2.6.38 will be moved to "past" ?

This could be nice !
techAdmin
Reply Quote
smxi always has the last version of the last major kernel series from liquorix in its advanced kernel install options.

Liquorix always has the previous major kernel series in its past branch.

Also see this recent compiling liquorix from source thread at debian.net, that shows how to compile your own liquorix for squeeze if you want the latest.

Don't ask me for help on this, ask the people in that thread.