Unable to Suspend or Shutdown on Lenovo T61 laptop
klaxian
Reply Quote
Hello everyone! I have been a liquorix user for some time, but this is my first post here. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

I have compiled a customized kernel based on the Liquorix patchset (2.6.37.4). The kernel works great, but I am no longer able to suspend or shutdown on my Lenovo T61 laptop. When I attempt to do so, the system appears to go through the entire shutdown or suspend sequence except for actually entering the low power or power down states. It just sits forever at a blinking cursor. I figured I was missing some ACPI option, but they are all enabled.

I am no stranger to customizing kernel configuration and building my own packages, but I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. The stock Ubuntu kernel does not have these problems so it has to be something with my configuration. I am working with the standard Liquorix 2.6.37.4 kernel with these configuration changes:

• BFS scheduler instead of CFS
  • Disabled unnecessary kernel modules/options based on my hardware
  • Intel Core 2 optimizations
  • march=native
  • cpufreq statically linked
  • other minor config tweaks for better performance or lower overhead for me

Any ideas? Thanks!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Before you spend another second on this, please make sure the stock packaged liquorix kernel manifests or does not manifest this same issue, install that one, otherwise it's really difficult to establish a baseline.
damentz
Reply Quote
BFS has a known issue that breaks suspend / power off sequences - you'll probably want to wait Con to port BFS to 2.6.38.

Sometimes new kernel revisions introduce bugs that only BFS exploits. It's hard to justify a fix though when only patches not designed for upstream break a feature of the kernel. One would think it's the patch, not the kernel itself.
klaxian
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
Before you spend another second on this, please make sure the stock packaged liquorix kernel manifests or does not manifest this same issue, install that one, otherwise it's really difficult to establish a baseline.

The issue does not occur with the prepackaged liquorix 2.6.37.4.

:: damentz wrote ::
BFS has a known issue that breaks suspend / power off sequences - you'll probably want to wait Con to port BFS to 2.6.38.

I will build a liquorix kernel where the only config change is CFS to BFS to confirm that BFS is the problem and I will report back. Thanks for the suggestion.
klaxian
Reply Quote
I just built a kernel where the only option I changed was cfs to bfs and I can still consistently reproduce the suspend/shutdown problem. Seems like the BFS scheduler is definitely the culprit. However, it only breaks on my T61 laptop. My desktop is unaffected. Hopefully it will be fixed for 2.6.38. Thanks for the help guys!
klaxian
Reply Quote
I confirmed that BFS v363 in kernel 2.6.38 works fine. I am able to suspend and shutdown normally without issues.