2.6.35 kernel availability
k3lt01
Reply Quote
Hi there.

Just wondering about the availability of the Liquorix version of the 2.6.35 kernel. I have a few laptops that require ndiswrapper and the last Linux kernel that supports ndiswrapper is the 2.6.35 kernel. I see that Liquorix has removed this kernel from its repository. I'm personally running Debian Sid/Experimental on my main machines and find the Liquorix kernel makes the machines more responsive.

Would it be possible for the 2.6.35 kernel to be put back into the past section of the repository so people with machines that require ndiswrapper can still get a decent kernel for their machines?

Cheers.
K3lt01 (Michael).
damentz
Reply Quote
2.6.37 should have a compatible ndiswrapper module. I just googled for one and there is one already included into Ubuntu's 2.6.37 kernel.

You might want to try looking to that instead. And also, what wireless card are you using? Now-a-days, many wireless card issues are fixed or are in a better working state if you download the newest bleeding edge compat-wireless drivers.
k3lt01
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
2.6.37 should have a compatible ndiswrapper module. I just googled for one and there is one already included into Ubuntu's 2.6.37 kernel.
I use Debian not Ubuntu. On my machine I have Debian's 2.6.32 kernel, your 2.6.35 kernel, and Debian's 2.6.37 kernel. The only one that does not work is 2.6.37. I had tried your 2.6.36 and 2.6.37 series and neither worked. I was hoping 2.6.38 might but I doubt it.

You might want to try looking to that instead.
I swapped to Debian from Ubuntu because Ubuntu was getting to bloaty plus ndiswrapper failed for a while with 10.10 and completely in testing 11.04. If you take a look at launchpad you will see a bug report where I made comment after a maintainer said he was no longer going to support ndiswrapper and we should all go out and purchase a new laptop.

And also, what wireless card are you using? Now-a-days, many wireless card issues are fixed or are in a better working state if you download the newest bleeding edge compat-wireless drivers.
InProComm Inc. IPN 2220 802.11g, there are no new drivers for this card as the company that made the card went bust years ago leaving their code closed source.

I understand if you don't want to put 2.6.35 back in your past section, I just thought I'd ask as it is the last kernel that works as it should with ndiswrapper and I have no other options.

Cheers
damentz
Reply Quote
I just looked online for your card. There is no hope for it, apparently, since the only source code released by D-Link had statements that prohibited modification, distribution, and everything else that is required for code to be genuinely open source.

Maybe the developers were right, and I know you'll hate my answer. But, does your laptop have a free USB port? If so, take a look at hawking's offerings here: www.hawkingtech.com/products/index.php?CatID=19&FamID=33. All their stuff tends to work on Mac and Linux very well without any fuss.

But honestly, if I was in your situation, I would (to put bluntly) say "f#ck it", and buy a usb wireless adapter and forget about it.
k3lt01
Reply Quote
I just looked online for your card. There is no hope for it, apparently, since the only source code released by D-Link had statements that prohibited modification, distribution, and everything else that is required for code to be genuinely open source.
I know

Maybe the developers were right, and I know you'll hate my answer. But, does your laptop have a free USB port? If so, take a look at hawking's offerings here: [link]. All their stuff tends to work on Mac and Linux very well without any fuss.

But honestly, if I was in your situation, I would (to put bluntly) say "f#ck it", and buy a usb wireless adapter and forget about it.
Unfortunately, I just do not have the funds.
Henrik
Reply Quote
I still have the .35 kernel (x86). You can get it here:
rapidshare.com/files/449185861/2.6.35-10.dmz.2-liquorix-686.zip
k3lt01
Reply Quote
Thank you Henrik, you are a life saver.

The issue with ndiswrapper and kernels after 2.6.35 seems to be the ndiswrapper-dkms package. I'm going to delve further into it and see what I can find, then I'll file a bug report (with Debian) and hopefully the issue can be fixed.