Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

reiner
Reply Quote
Well,
on 64-Bit I have no issues at all yet but unfortunately on my 32-Bit laptop I had several freezes this afternoon. Looks like I have to stay with 2.6.36 on that box for now.

Thanks and regards

Reiner
320x200
Reply Quote
Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for such a great kernel!
We are currently testing it for inclusion in the next Puredyne release (http://puredyne.org)

So far it's been working flawlessly on 64-bit but two 32-bit machines are freezing, a VAIO Pentium-m laptop and a DELL Pentium-4 tower both with 2.6.37-1.dmz.1.

I don't have access to these machines at the moment but will eventually, let me know if something should be tried.

So far none of the following helped: booting with nomodeset, noapic, acpi=off, different X drivers. It seems that the freze happens when a sudden burst of activity occurs (network or filesystem).
carcinoma
Reply Quote
hi,

i have the same problem on the liqorix 2.6.37 (other on 2.6.36).

currently, after a switch to the console (mayby in the right moment?) i saw a stack trace with somthing like this:

compaction_malloc
migrate_pages
compaction_malloc
compact_zone
reclaim_compact_zone_order
shrink_inactive_list
shrink_zone
__percpu_counter_sum

on the EIP is split_free_pages

kswapd0 exited with: preepmt_count 1

this is what i noticed (after i had to reset my laptop). hopefully this could be the cause of the problem.

the thing is, how can we track this problem? what is our giude to know more
about the source on an hanning maschine?

btw. it seems to came up on low end pcs. i have 512 mb ram, maybe the mem compation has a problem with this?
damentz
Reply Quote
Can you guys try again with 2.6.37-1.dmz.2? I pushed a newer version of the compaction fixes from Mel Gorman and some more deadlock fixes from the mailing list. I hope this makes a difference.
carcinoma
Reply Quote
with a short time of usage and a little load it works with the dmz.2 kernel
where the dmz.1 already gave up.

uname -a
Linux carcinoma-laptop 2.6.37-1.dmz.2-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 22 06:47:39 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
reiner
Reply Quote
well,
also here too early for final judgement but it definitely "feels" better now too. Will give feedback again tomorrow.

thanks and regards

Reiner
reiner
Reply Quote
Hello again :-D
tested the new kernel during the whole day. No freezes or problems at all!
So I believe that this problem is solved for me (and hopefully all other users too)

Thanks and regards

Reiner
carcinoma
Reply Quote
same here. i think is is solved. no more freezes for 2 days of usage.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
with the 2.6.37-1.dmz.1-liquorix-686 I had experienced rather intermittent slowdowns and freezes particularly when using firefox or any other network application. With 2.6.37-2.dmz.2-liquorix-686 the problems went away. What changed?
VinDSL
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
Can you guys try again with 2.6.37-1.dmz.2? I pushed a newer version of the compaction fixes from Mel Gorman and some more deadlock fixes from the mailing list. I hope this makes a difference.

I'm using 2.6.37-2.dmz.2 now, and the freezes are gone!

I accidentally did a file search in Nautilus a few minutes ago (was causing a hard lock, as stated above) and everything went smoothly.

I thought I should come over here and report that the freezing has stopped.

Good job. Thanks! ;)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next