new To Liquorix : resources & power usage
rileyrg
Reply Quote
Having successfully installed debian liquorix kernel today and managed to fix the issues with the brcm80211 driver from linux.wireless, I've been googling, with zero success, a resource location that concisely lists the benefits etc of the Liquorix kernel.... I guess my google foo has failed me this evening. Any pointers much appreciated. I installed it as an excercise really pretty much ignorant of what benefits it would bring other than it being "more responsive" as a desktop kernel apparently.

One thing that I immediately noticed is that powertop doesnt run anymore. Is Liquorix already doing more than enough? How does it rate as a power saving kernel? I'm interested in maximising battery life on my asus netbook.

(I kept my old kernels too so I can swap back easy enough).
damentz
Reply Quote
Powertop runs here, what distro / version are you on?
rileyrg
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
Powertop runs here, what distro / version are you on?

The latest with Debian Squeeze.

uname -a : Linux asus1015pem 2.6.37-0.slh.11-aptosid-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 27 01:04:18 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

powertop output:

Cn Verweildauer P-States (Frequenzen)
C0 (Prozessor läuft) ( 7,3%) 1500 MHz 100,0%
zyklisches AbfraC1 mwait 1,6m 1000 MHz 0,0%
C1 mwait 1,1ms ( 3,1%)
C2 mwait 1,5ms (28,2%)
C4 mwait 1,3ms (61,4%)

Aufwachen pro Sekunde : 674,8 Intervall: 5,0s
Keine ACPI Stromverbrauch-Schätzung verfügbar

Keine detaillierte Statistik verfügbar; aktivieren Sie CONFIG_TIMER_STATS in Ihrem Kernel.
Diese Option befindet sich im Abschnitt "Kernel Debugging" der Kernel-Konfiguration.
(verfügbar über CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y in der config Datei)
Achtung: Das funktioniert erst ab Kernel 2.6.21
damentz
Reply Quote
Looks like you're running the slh kernel. You can read about why it's not working by reading this old thread I saved: liquorix.net/slh-lock-retardation/powertop-recommendation.html

I'm surprised though that slh has not enabled that feature yet in his configuration. Must be problem of demand though. If it's easier to switch to an alternative than to reason with someone so socially constipated and out of touch with people's needs, I wouldn't bother either.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Powertop works for me here:

Linux thinker 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 26 08:01:16 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Yes, the same ol' song with the slh kernels :-)

Liquorix has to be better than the rest!