KP with kernel26-lqx 2.6.36.3-1
azathoth
Reply Quote
Hi, just posting here for posterity, already did at the AUR.
I know Damentz doesn't own this package but maybe he could give someone a jab about it.
Just upgraded the lqx kernel for one of my Arch setups. I upgraded from 2.6.36.2-2 which worked very well. I didn't need to do anything with the pkgbuild and it built without incident but KPed on the first and all subsequent boots with:

:: Code ::
MP-BIOS bug:8281 timer not connected to IO-APIC
Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work! Boot with APIC=debug and send a report. Then try booting with the noapic option.

Which I haven't got around to yet.
damentz
Reply Quote
Ah, this must be some timing fixes I was suggested to merge to Zen. I'll remove them, they must be the culprit.

Look forward to the next patch, 36.3-2.patch... or 37.0-1.patch - whichever you find first.
azathoth
Reply Quote
Just tried lqx 2.6.37-1 and it still KPs. I also have kernel26-ck 2.6.37-1 and kernel26-bfs 2.6.37-363.2 installed on the same setup and they built and run fine.
Same error as the OP.

For what it's worth, 2.6.37.0-1 works fine on my Sid setups.
damentz
Reply Quote
Oh well, not sure what to say. My 2.6.37 patches are pretty vanilla in the sense that they don't touch the core of the kernel (scheduler / x86 or timer code). Maybe in time I'll figure out what's causing it or an official bug report will appear on the kernel bugzilla.
azathoth
Reply Quote
I don't know a lot about it but logically I would doubt if it's the patches themselves since the same kernel works fine with Debian. Anyway, thanks. I'll keep my eye on the AUR.