[Request] Realtec RTL8187B wireless driver - patch?
yorick
Reply Quote
damentz, I'm not sure if you take many requests, but I thought I would try.

I have a System 76 Starling Netbook with RTL8187B wireless driver. I believe the wireless worked fine under Ubuntu 9.04.

Later versions of the Linux Kernel seemed to make the wireless weak. I can still use wireless but I have to be 15 feet or so from the router.

I am currently running Crunchbang Statler (Debian based) with the Liquorix kernel. My wireless is still weak. Any chance of patching this for better driver support?

System 76 did write some kind of "driver" which you have to run with their System 76 driver, but this obviously won't do me any good with Debian based distros.

I tried the advice here to no avail: wiki.debian.org/rtl818x

Thanks for your help.
damentz
Reply Quote
You might want to try building the wireless driver from the newest bleeding edge archive of compat-wireless: wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download#Where_to_download_bleeding_edge

I use this for my wireless card since the version in the stable kernels typically doesn't work or work well enough to let me do anything useful. Let me know if this works for you.
yorick
Reply Quote
damentz,
My sincerest thanks for your help. I'll check out this link when I have a few more minutes to spare and see what I can do.

Thanks again.
yorick
Reply Quote
damentz! You are the man. This worked completely.

I can't believe how easy this fix was. I consider myself about intermediate level with Linux, and this worked with no problems. I'm going to post this fix in a couple of other forums where I posted this question, with credit given to you.

Thanks again!