An Idea
Dar-es-Salaam
Reply Quote
Hi,

This idea ha come about because I screwed up trying to us sgfxi. I accepted a suggestion the program said might work, a different graphics driver, so I tried it, unfortunately it didn't work and ended up in a loop that I could not get out of so I had to reinstall LMDE. My suggestion is that perhaps you could put in a loop that test the screen resolution then asks whether it is working OK, if answered yes accepts the new driver if answered no then returns to the original set up, hopefully saving newbie idiots like me from screwing things up.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
That's impossible without a massive amount of work.

Screen resolution data is not available for root, and it's not available out of X, so that is the end of that no matter what.

Also, you're giving zero information, such as what card you are using, what system, what Xorg version, etc. Whatever sgfxi suggested meant that the default didn't work, however you're giving no information at all in that area as well.

In general,. the more information you post, the less I have to ask you, the less I have to guess/speculate, so I'm just going to leave this one alone.
An Idea
Dar-es-Salaam
Reply Quote
Hi,
Sorry about that I am a newbie at using this it was a suggestion from someone. in future I will try to supply all the info that you require at one go.
Thanks anyway as i said it was only an idea