DKMS fails
woodhouse
Reply Quote
Excuse me, but I have problems with nvidia-dkms and virtualbox-ose-dkms when install Liquorix kernel on Debian Squeeze..

Have you any idea?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You almost certainly need to update your nvidia and virtual box in order for them to run on 2.6.36.

This is why I don't use dkms, by the way, it's only really viable for frozen pool distros and kernels.
woodhouse
Reply Quote
Thank you for answer.

Actually, it works fine now, by using the nvidia-kernel-dkms/sid, also into a squeeze deb context..

But, please, in your opinion, it's not possible to use this fantastic 2.6.36 optimized kernel into a squeeze environment?
For instance with a pool specific for squeeze... not only sid..

Thanks,
techAdmin
Reply Quote
anything is possible, the question is if damentz really wants to spend time supporting more systems, that requires build environments, testing, uploading more kernel types, etc.

Rather than ask: is x or y possible, ask the real question: how does damentz benefit from adding more headaches and testing scenarios to his volunteer project, run by himself? This is a question far too few people who ask why x or y doesn't get done in projects in the free software world tend to forget to ask....

Since sgfxi will install your nvidia driver fine on squeeze or sid, no issues, that's not really something I see damentz/liquorix kernels needing to handle by creating an entire kernel branch for squeeze. Again, there is no issue installing latest nvidia drivers to squeeze or sid, and never has been, that's why I made and use sgfxi, gets rid of pain...
woodhouse
Reply Quote
you convinced me :-)
I didn't know sgfxi.. great work!

furthermore, your argument about free-software it's right..
thank you
damentz
Reply Quote
:: woodhouse wrote ::
Thank you for answer.

Actually, it works fine now, by using the nvidia-kernel-dkms/sid, also into a squeeze deb context..

But, please, in your opinion, it's not possible to use this fantastic 2.6.36 optimized kernel into a squeeze environment?
For instance with a pool specific for squeeze... not only sid..

Thanks,

It's always possible to use download the sources with apt-get source, bump the version and branch of the kernel with dch -i, then build a new kernel with debuild.

That makes the kernel bootable or installable but won't solve problems with old userspace.