Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheExplorer
Reply Quote
Can I use CFS and cgroups in the latest liquorix on the fly or should I recompile it in order to turn it on?
damentz
Reply Quote
Only the basic cgroup support is enabled for autogrouping support. If there's something else missing, you'll need to recompile for them.
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
Sorry, daments, again...

But I simply can not recompile your 2.6.36 kernel since your first release of this branch :(

I downloaded the linux-liquorix-2.6.36.orig archive, applied the latest 2.6.36-3 patch, also downloaded your config.i386 for the .36 kernel. Everything went OK. (tried it also with the vanilla 2.6.36 kernel).

But in the end of compiling I get the following errors:

:: Code ::
...CC [M]  drivers/video/via/tbl1636.o
  CC [M]  drivers/video/via/via-core.o
  CC [M]  drivers/video/via/via-gpio.o
  CC [M]  drivers/video/via/via_modesetting.o
  LD [M]  drivers/video/via/viafb.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1662 modules
ERROR: "ir_core_debug" [drivers/media/IR/ir-common.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "ir_g_keycode_from_table" [drivers/media/IR/ir-common.ko] undefined!
WARNING: modpost: Found 7 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/alexander/Documents/linux-liquorix-2.6_2.6.36.orig'
make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 2

I just wanted to recompile the kernel and disable a lot of things that I do not use on my hardware config thus making the kernel lighter, smaller and faster. I always do this when compiling.

Thank you.
damentz
Reply Quote
Could you upload your configuration somewhere?
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
Hmm... I have to recompile it again. I don't have a constant config, I just take yours and then start disabling things.

Ok, I'll try to do this ASAP.
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
Ok, I tried again. Took your linux-liquorix-2.6_2.6.36.orig.tar.bz2 archive, applied the latest 36.1-4.patch, took your config for 2.6.36 kernel, disabled things I don't use, recompiled the kernel and got the following error again:

:: Code ::
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1679 modules
ERROR: "ir_core_debug" [drivers/media/IR/ir-common.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "ir_g_keycode_from_table" [drivers/media/IR/ir-common.ko] undefined!
WARNING: modpost: Found 7 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/satellite/linux-liquorix-2.6_2.6.36.orig'
make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 2

Here are my two modified configs: before kpkg clean and after it.

Please look at them. I didn't get these errors before with your 2.6.35 kernel branch.

Thank you again.
damentz
Reply Quote
Looks like you disabled CONFIG_IR_CORE. I enabled that option after receiving the same build error and now the kernel builds.

I didn't completely review your configuration but whatever new that you enabled does depend on IR_CORE. Most likely it's just a module that that does not mark IR_CORE as a configuration dependency.
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
Looks like you disabled CONFIG_IR_CORE

Well, I don't need any infrared support and I'd like to emphasize again that the vanilla kernel compiled like a charm with the same thing disabled, also your previous kernel branch compiled OK with the same thing disabled, so it's unnormal for the kernel to give such errors. That's the point I report a "bug" to you.

You apply a very big set of patches. BFS is well known to break some kernel API for example. So it may be some patch that breaks it actually. The other question is how to trace it. I would like to help you but I'm no good at it.

Anyway that's just me who recompiles the kernel to my own likes, others just install'n'use it without even thinking what's inside, so maybe you better not waste your time and continue providing the optimized kernel fork even if it's half-working actually.
nutellajunkie
Reply Quote
Out of curiosity, how does one go about reversing this?
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
P.S. Your 2.6.36 branch is getting more unstable. For e.g. I get no sound from time to time. My card uses Intel HDA module and after watching some flash videos I can't use my audio player. The system says that the device is busy. I never had such issues before actually. Very strange.
I switched back to 2.6.35 liquorix kernel and now everything is fine, no issues (watching videos, listening to music, working with different software etc.).
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next