2.6.36-2 plus fglrx 10-10
blowtorch
Reply Quote
Hi,

I've got a Gateway M-6873h laptop with a Mobility Radeon 2600 chip and I am using a Debian testing installation. When installing the 2.6.36-2 kernel (and headers of course) it failed to the fglrx module. I haven't had this with other kernels and the 2.6.35 has been awesome to say the least! :)

Also I have a question ... is there any plan to add sixaxis (ps3 bluetooth controller) support?
www.netswarm.net/sixaxis-support/

Thanks!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm sure fglrx doesn't support 2.6.36 yet, I think I read something that said that, just install the 2.6.35.

You do NOT repeat NOT need to install new kernels when your system is running fine. This is especially true with fglrx, who never manage to have timely support for new kernel major versions, or at least only rarely.

So just use 2.6.35, by probably fglrx 10-12 or so 2.6.36 support will be there. Maybe even 11, who knows.

I used to really track this for sgfxi, and sgfxi would give an error message if I knew the driver didn't work, which it usually doesn't for latest kernels, but that required too much testing and time to maintain, so now I just wait to see if the stuff works or not then when I get around to it I might add a kernel no support error in sgfxi to let you know what to do.

Your case is simple, you liked 2.6.35, it works with fglrx, so use it.
blowtorch
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply :)
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I've added patches to sgfxi for fglrx 10-10 + 2.6.36, these are tested only in that the patching itself is tested and works fine, but the actual functionality is not tested, but these are from Arch who tends to do decent patch work.

I generally won't do this for fglrx, but since it was easy to find the patches, and since the patch author actually made them so that they work, figured ok, why not.