cpu scaling
sedonix
Reply Quote
Why did I try this off-brand kernel(2.6.34-1.dmz.3-liquorix-amd64) Why? I was wondering why my TB drives were having a cup of coffee before the data showed up! I want my 2.8 GHZ speed at ALL times. I don't want to hear any "greenie" stuff about saving energy. I know how to diddle with the freqs after the fact. So, is this fixable or do i need to stay with a Debian kernel which comes sprinting out of the blocks at 2.8GHZ and not crawling out at 1GHZ.
iotaka
Reply Quote
You can try to remove cpufrequtils and sysfsutils. I prefer have cpu scaling anyway ...
sedonix
Reply Quote
Thanks iotaka! cpufrequtils did it and now I can see why. I didn't have
sysfsutils. I'm running at 2.813 GHZ forever. It does make a big difference when
you're dealing with getting data out of terabyte drives. I originally thought my
drives had died it took so long.
damentz
Reply Quote
sedonix, don't worry about cpu scaling on these kernels. I applied a patch for the ondemand governor which accounts for IO when choosing the frequency to run at.

All vanilla kernels 2.6.34 and less should have the bug you're experiencing.
sedonix
Reply Quote
What, me worry? I'm too old to worry. I want nothing to do with"scaling". I have hundreds of movies on my drives to watch and I can't wait around while some "greenie" software decides on how fast I get to them. I learned a long time ago how to set the cpu speed. It takes at least 10 seconds to change it in a console. Time wasted!
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Damentz, have you also applied the patch to the new 2.6.35 kernel as well?
sedonix
Reply Quote
2.6.35 seems to be behaving as advertised.........so far.