Modem Problems on Windows 2000, Creative v92 and I56PSP
rkoenig
Reply Quote
Help, I'm having big problems with trying to get a modem installed on my Windows 2000 computer.

I tried what I thought was a good namebrand modem, Creative Modem Blaster V 92, I followed the directions in the modem kit, the driver seems to install the first part, when that installs, my computer detects a new modem audio device, but I can't get the driver installed for that, I tried a bunch of different ways, when I do a modem diagnostic 'query modem' it seems to be working fine, but it won't connect.

Then I tried an old modem I had, one of those cheapo ones, I56PSP, from PCTEL, but that was even more disastrous, when I rebooted my computer it wouldn't boot at all, luckily I was able to get into Windows Recovery mode by clicking F8 on boot, and get the modem uninstalled. But I really need a modem right now, what do I do?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
erikZ
Reply Quote
Hi Rkoenig, thanks for stopping by again.

The problem you are having is pretty normal with Windows 2000, for some reason a lot of the modems on the market just won't work with windows 2000, I don't know if it's a windows problem or if for some reason the guys who wrote the modem drivers just couldn't get it right.

Either way it doesn't matter. The solution I've found, which works almost always, is to use a real name brand modem. Creative is not a real name brand, they just repackage broadxent modem chipsets if I remember right.

If you want a modem that will install straight out of the box, no driver installation, try a Lucent, if you can find one. If you can't, try the US Robotics 56k PCI modem, that's a very solid product, you still have to install the drivers, but I've never had a problem with it, and it's very cheap, I just got some for about $20 each, and they worked perfectly on a computer where several other modems had given me problems very much like what you are experiencing. Throw the I56HSP or PSP out with the trash and never try to save $10 on a modem again, as you can see it's not worth it in terms of how much time you can potentially lose.

Good luck, but if you go with US Robotics you should have no more trouble, just make sure to uninstall all your old modems first, then reboot, then turn off computer, install new modem, reboot, install drivers when prompted, and you should be good to go, hope that does it for you, Erik