2.6.31 liquorix kernel on d945gclf flickers frantically
manmath
Reply Quote
I am running Debian Lenny on Intel D945gclf. Only last night I installed Liquorix Kernel 2.6.31. And I got astounding speed boost. Now my desktop feels fast and light, but the screen flickers so frantically that it's not usable.

Please help me out!

Here are some info that you that you may require
----------------------------------------------------------
System:
[new user link]. It comes with Intel GMA 950 display, Intel HDA, Realtek Lan Card and Atom 230 processor.

Monitor:
AOC 15.6" TFT 1366x768 resolution

Operating System:
Debian Lenny with linux-image-2.6.31-11.dmz.1-liquorix-686_2.6.31-41_i386.deb

When I boot with stable debian 2.6.26 kernel the system behaves normally though a lot slower than liquorix. That's why I want a solution to fix this flickering problem and run my system on liquorix 2.6.31 kernel.[/url]
damentz
Reply Quote
Try booting with the kernel parameter appended: nomodeset

Your user space may be too old to support that feature, turning it off may correct your flickering. Also note that newer kernels usually require some new user space. As you upgrade to newer and newer kernels without updating the userspace to match it, little things like this may break or software that previously worked will seem to simply not work anymore.

If you want to try my current kernel maintenance efforts (2.6.32), add my repository:
:: Code ::
deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

From there you can run the command, apt-get install .*liquorix

This will install the keyring for my repository and give you access to updates with your normal apt-get upgrade workflow.
manmath
Reply Quote
Damentz,
Thanks for your reply.

But now I am away from my computer. Will put nomodeset parameter in the liquorix kernel line on reaching home in the night.

Just a few more questions. Please tell me how to upgrade the userspace of my Lenny install. Plz suggest me which apps I have to pull in from backports so that I can enjoy kernel mode setting.

PS: I had install your 2.6.31 kernel in Lenny Stable (Not Sid). First it was not installing. I had to upgrade initramfs-tools from backports. Then the install was smooth.
manmath
Reply Quote
Thank you Damentz.
nomodeset option worked and i am a happy user again.
damentz
Reply Quote
I'm not well experienced with upgrading parts of Lenny to become a stable hybrid with newer software, I just run pure rolling release in Debian Sid. Kano, the maker of Kanotix, will be able to answer your questions more thoroughly on this topic.

You can ask in the forums at kanotix.com or chat in #kanotix in irc.freenode.net. You may even prefer to use Kanotix instead of vanilla Lenny!
manmath
Reply Quote
Now that it's working fine with nomdeset option I don't want to take the pain of pulling anything new to the stable Lenny.

BTW, thanks for your suggestion. But, my next install will be sid with your custom kernel.