USB pen stalls after install liquorix
rikhard
Reply Quote
hello to all of you, i recently discovered the smxi script and liquorix kernel so i tried them on my debian testing/sid it all worked fine except one thing.

#uname -ar
Linux solaris 2.6.31-2.dmz.1-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 6 03:47:12 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

I don't know why but an usb pen that i've been using, formated as ext2 or vfat, i tried both, it's behaving strangely.

when i try to copy/move something to it, it starts ok but seconds after it completely stalls, and i can't perform those actions, also become impossible to do anything on the computer, sometimes i got to go to another tty and kill the process or a more radical way remove the usb pen.

i've been using pcmanfm, mc and rsync, it allways fail the operation.

it also happens to create a kerneloops, that i send to the kerneloops site.

the strange this is that when i tried the usb pen with my #!crunchbang live distro, everything worked perfectly without any problem.

#!crunchbang is a distro based on ubuntu, i'm using the last livecd, 9.04.1

can anyone give some advice to this problem?

thanks guys, and by the way, thank you for the wonderful tools

rj
techAdmin
Reply Quote
well, first of all, install the vanilla debian kernel and confirm or deny that the issue remains with the usb pen.

That will at least help narrow the problem down to something specific.

Keep in mind, sid/testing tend to be newer packages than ubuntu frozen releases, not always but usually, so something working in ubuntu might just mean ubuntu doesn't have the latest package that is breaking the device yet.
rikhard
Reply Quote
when i was using the debian vanilla kernel i got the same problem, that's why i googled for another kernel, one more optimized, then i found smxi and liquorix and tried those 3 kernels, debian, sidux and liquorix, in all of them i got the same problem.

i thought it was a pen's problem, then i booted from #!cb and everything worked normally.

is there any major differences among those 3 kernel and the ubuntu one?

thanks
damentz
Reply Quote
It's probably not the kernel, it must be the userspace that's causing a problem if the Debian, Liquorix, and Sidux kernels all give a kernel oops.

All of those kernels have vastly different configurations but everyone runs the same userspace for them. Debian also typically has the older stable kernel (2.6.30 as opposed to 2.6.31).

Unless I'm mistaken, #!cb runs 2.6.28 of the linux kernel. Try running Ubuntu 9.10 beta from the livecd as this runs a much newer kernel and from there we can isolate whether it is infact the newer kernels that have regressed lately.
rikhard
Reply Quote
thanks for the tips, i will test it with the new version of *buntu, but unfortunately right now i cannot download it, when i can test it i will say something.

thanks again