liquorix cruft not being removed
Snowhog
Reply Quote
damentz -

I created two files this evening that identify LOADS of cruft from previous liquorix kernel installations that did not get removed by smxi when I unistalled them.

I'm sure that all this cruft can be removed - it's all associated with .30 and earlier liquorix kernel installs.

h2-gw should be made aware of this, unless he already is, that smxi isn't removing everything associated with your kernels when using the kernel remover option.
damentz
Reply Quote
Most likely they are in the /lib/modules/ folder. If you create any files there, they do not disappear when the packages are removed.

smxi can probably include a tool to identify which kernel folders in /lib/modules/ are unnecessary anymore and remove them, ask h2 and see what he thinks.

dpkg only removes the files that it placed, that's probably why it appears that cruft accumulates.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
it should be removing /lib/modules cruft but I'll make sure that works for liquorix kernels too.

:: Code ::
if [ ! -e "/boot/vmlinuz-$kernelToRemove" ];then
      rm -rf /lib/modules/$kernelToRemove
      rm -rf /usr/src/linux-headers-$kernelToRemove
   fi

yes, it's there, last step in the kernel remover in smxi.

Now, note, if you mistakenly thought kernel-remover from sidux actually cleans up kernels, that's false, and is a big reason I implemented a native smxi one instead.

So if you used kernel-remover to dump stuff you'd need to do some manual cleanup after.
damentz
Reply Quote
Ah, that's awesome. I'm really down to earth and purged my kernels with simple lines like apt-get purge .*1.dmz.3 and etc.

I'll try smxi next time going forward and see if I can initiate some good habits :D
Snowhog
Reply Quote
Got it all straightened out last in #smxi with the help of all you outrageous dudes. Turns out to have been the result of a previously 'failed' kernel install. Anyway, it's all cleaned up. Life is good.