Page: 1, 2  Next

Kernel modules for Liquorix
efi360
Reply Quote
After adding source to apt and following the post on how to install liquorix kernel the install went through fine but as it went through the list of available kernel modules none seemed to be available. I need ndiswrapper to be able to connect with wifi . how do I get the modules
ps this is a sidux install that also has newest sidux kernel too and all working fine but just wanted to try out the liquorix one.
damentz
Reply Quote
I removed the prebuilt modules due to many reasons.

1. Sid moves too fast and my modules may be out of date and cause conflicts

2. They reduce the automation on my end to building new kernels

3. I'm planning to distribute my kernel cross-distribution and I can't be concerned about the details for each one.

But to build a module in debian, you simply find the package source. In your case, you'll want ndiswrapper-source.

Then run m-a a-i ndiswrapper-source.

That's it!
efi360
Reply Quote
Thanks damentz,
I will give it a try. Thanks for the reply
techAdmin
Reply Quote
added back in ndiswrapper auto rebuild for liquorix kernels, that will rebuild the module on each kernel install via smxi automatically

If there is demand I can add back in more modules for autorebuilding, not sure about madwifi at the moment.
efi360
Reply Quote
Thanks H2, umm or I mean techAdmin,

did not work initially as it gave me a error saying gcc-4.4 not installed so after apt-get install gcc-4.4 I re-ran the kernel install and all went fine including the ndsiwrapper build and install. I was able to boot into a desktop with wifi.

Sorry I would have posted the error but was not sure how to copy and paste text while in init 3 after cntr alt f1. would like to know how others do it.
Anyway all is working fine so once again thanks for the fast response and script adjustment.
sickie
Reply Quote
Please, techy, don't add automatic module installation! I always hated that smxi installed all those (to me unneeded) modules; maybe make it an option if one wants to have additional modules or not.
efi360
Reply Quote
Hi sickie,
From what I saw he only added the one to build ( ndsiwrapper ) no other module gets built or added. As he stated others would only be added if there was a demand so your OK so far.

To techAdmin,
I can always add ndswrapper as per damentz's way
run m-a a-i ndiswrapper-source
If the majority of users don't want the automated builds, I'm OK with that as long as there are helpful people to help with showing some of us non techies the way to do it ;)
As for myself I need it so like the automated part.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sickie, smxi only reinstall the modules you have installed, so the trick for you would always have been to use the convenient module uninstaller tool to get rid of all those extra modules. That's in the kernel options section, advanced, I think. smxi has never reinstalled modules you aren't using.
Crust
Reply Quote
I think sickie is just referring the the fact that the installer does download the modules that are available (for the sidux kernel). Only the ones that you have installed get reinstalled, but the downloading of all the modules is something to think about. Perhaps it could be separated as a separate option. I do think that it would be useful in an emergency to have the modules available, but it takes a significant amount of time to download them all even if you know you will not have a use for them.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I just turned off the download for liquorix since it doesn't have any.

Re turning it off, it's never really bugged me, it just takes a minute or less time usually, but it could be changed.
Page: 1, 2  Next