net install using mini.iso alternative
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

Waffle?
I am not a Debian expert. Try at own risk.
Feel free to move this post but I did not want to detract from the sticky on the bus card install way or the alternative antiX base way
techpatterns.com/forums/about1085.html

EDIT well it may have been my non-generic initrd but I just have done a clean install on host using grub legacy and generic initrd so have not had time to resolve which was the culprit assuming it was one of these?
And in a test install into vbox...grub2 failed possible reason wrong fstab structure as per techadmin/h2 post on UUID or label
antix.freeforums.org/new-option-in-smxi-kernel-install-zen-kernels-t1460.html#p9312

I um...failed to reboot in vbox because of this but have the confidence it will work on my host if I use grub legacy and convert fstab and menu then convert to grub2

----------------------------
Where to get iso
ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/

Some minor suggestions
1) It allows you to set your own mirror...handy for me as my ISP has unmetered download mirror

if your apt file was this

:: Code ::
deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ unstable contrib main non-free

then change for the first page of input to this

then next page...you can have an ending / or not (I discovered)

------
The rest appears similar to the bus card way but I will have to make time to do it for real and see if it really works

My intention is to get some basic tools and minimal install before installing smxi and build up my system sidux-free based on sid

regards
aus9
Reply Quote
ok I have done a host install using mini.iso a net based install and then loaded smxi and installed heaps.

I prefer apt-get only because I am used to it.

I also found amarok no longer to my liking so have gone to vlc
k3b replaced with xfburn but I do not rip but know antiX prefer grip

hplip-gui pulls in gimp and heaps. EDIT now culled and use hp-levels only...

sid also had some issues with groups....err I was not a member of audio or video or plugdev etc....I have fixed that but it did cause my neighbours to blush while I was trying to figure out why I had alsa and mixer set but not getting certain audio devices to play

oops too much info...good bye