ISA support in Liquorix-Kernel ?
reiner
Reply Quote
I just found out that with the liquorix kernels the isa-subsystems seem not to be availble any more. In the config file that is attached tzo the kernels ISA seems to be disabled.

I have an older Compaq Armada 1750 Laptop (upgraded to PIII 500).
its sound-module bases on an ess1869 chip which is ISA-based (snd-es18xx mudule normally).
So, no sound for me with an liquorix-kernel on this laptop. I tried to recompile alsa but that didn't work.

Would it be possible to include the ISA-Support again in liquorix kernels or should I try to grab me the source and reconfigure and recompile the kernel for that ?

regards

Reiner
damentz
Reply Quote
Hmm, I didn't think anyone would need ISA support with my kernel. I'll reenable them on the next release!
reiner
Reply Quote
Thanks damentz !
Well, it is pretty rare those days but some people with older, but functional, laptops based on 66 architeture unfortunately still need it.

regards

Reiner
damentz
Reply Quote
I uploaded a new kernel yesterday with the updated configuration - let me know if there's anything else you notice that should be improved!
reiner
Reply Quote
Thank you damentz !
I will testit and wif any issue shows up I will notify here about it.

regards

Reiner
eriefisher
Reply Quote
With isa support will the Liquorix kernels boot on old cpu's, PII's and such or even older?
damentz
Reply Quote
My kernel is optimized for the Pentium Pro, but after reading through the different processor families i could choose between, that can probably change.

:: Code ::
Pentium-Pro (M686)

Select this for Intel Pentium Pro chips. This enables the use of
Pentium Pro extended instructions, and disables the init-time guard
against the f00f bug found in earlier Pentiums.

I was looking at this:
586/K5/5x86/6x86/6x86MX (M586)

Select this for an 586 or 686 series processor such as the AMD K5,
the Cyrix 5x86, 6x86 and 6x86MX. This choice does not
assume the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction.

Which is similar to this one:
Pentium-Classic (M586TSC)

Select this for a Pentium Classic processor with the RDTSC (Read
Time Stamp Counter) instruction for benchmarking.

It seems to me that the Pentium Pro processor family actually disables some features that would be useful to older processors due to a bug in just that processor model.

I'm most likely going to switch to the Penium-Classic group :)
snd.es18xx module
reiner
Reply Quote
Hi again,
thanks for including the ISA support and espacially the snd-es18xx module!
I still have some trouble with sound on my laptop but I think that this is not related to the kernel or the module itself.

I get sound perfectly when using rip or xmcd but only somes strange noise when using audacious or kde-related sound-programs.
I will have to experiment more deeply on that.

As you asked earlier about modules that could/should be included I could name one, pIIIcache.
It is not included (as far as I can say) in the official linux-kernel source and is described at
:: Quote ::
http://damien.challet.googlepages.com/module.html

Also it can be fetched from there.

It does basically enable the L2 cache on "pimped" laptops as mine but was originally written to do such on thinkpad 600 and similars.
It compiles with some warnings but apart from that it runs pretty good.
I compile it everytime when a new kernel is installed on the laptop beccause otherwise this PIII 500 MHz machine is slower than a PII 300MHz :-(
I cannot estimate how many of those kind of laptops are still in use and might use/need that.

regards

Reiner
pIIIcache
reiner
Reply Quote
just a note :-)
The little tool/module pIIIcache for my little "pimped" laptop that allows the use of the PIII L2 cache on this type of boxes freezes the kernels 2.6.34 again immediately (tested with the actual liquorix 2.6.34 kernels).

Nothing to worry for as I already was thinking of freezing the Software on it already.

I guess Kernel 2.6.33 and actual Software (i. e. KDE 4.4 on it) are already beyond the cabilities/limits of such an "ancient" laptop for prober use.
So I will freeze the Software and kernel, use mostly xfce as Desktop and maybe get another one after christmas :-)

regards

Reiner