smxi and 2.6.30 kernel
eriefisher
Reply Quote
I use your liquorix kernels on my laptop. No other kernels installed now. I love it, they boot fast and work perfectly. Presently using 2.6.29-4.dmz.4-liquorix-686.

Now, I use synaptic to browse for new packages and such but use smxi to du and install kernels. In synaptic I see 2.6.30-0.dmz.1-liquorix-686 but when I try to install it via smxi I don't get the choice. I am only offered 2.6.29-4.dmz.4-liquorix-686. Has this kernel not been included in the script for some reason?

Thank for the great work.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
don't mistake the archived kernel zips for the latest apt installed kernels.

I generally do not add the first versions of the new major kernel version to the archives because it takes a while for everything to catch up to those, plus they are really actually beta releases. I don't consider fresh kernels as really good for archiving.

So maybe once say 2.6.30-2 liquorix is released, or whatever, I'll make a zip of that and add it, but if you want the latest liquorix, then use the new options in advanced kernel options, super advanced options, add liquorix sources and set smxi default kernel to liquorix.

Then smxi will install and show latest liquorix kernel from apt, every time you run it. Warning, sid is a bit ahead of testing, and for example gcc 4.4, which latest 2.6.30 uses, might not be in debian testing yet, which is another reason I don't add totally new kernels of new major version to archives, I like to let stuff like that catch up as well.

In general the archived kernel zips are there as backups in case the current kernel doesn't work for people, so I don't particularly worry about keeping those up to date, I just make sure to have one of every major kernel version up, 2.6.29, 2.6.28, and so on, then a few older ones, ideally the latest released of that version, like 2.6.29-4 for liquorix, for example.
eriefisher
Reply Quote
Thanks for the explanation, I completely understand.

You mentioned sid being ahead of testing. I don't pull from the testing repos at all. I don't usually have any issues, probably because I stick to your scripts and thank you for that.

I did have a recent issue due to having some Mepis specific stuff. The du failed due to a package trying to overwrite one that existed in mepis-init. I just removed mepis-init, let smxi do it's magic and all went smoothly. I think Warren had some of his own tweaks in there and since I have not used the Mepis tools or repos in some time I did not worry about it.

thanks again.
Keep up the great work.