fglrx 9.6 & linux 2.6.30
sickie
Reply Quote
Hi hi!
I'm an avid user of your kernels, since they support fglrx modules. Right now I'm running Debian testing+your kernel 2.6.30 (because I need that version for one ext4 partition)+sid's x.org. Right now I use radeonhd driver, but it doesn't support power management on radeon 4870HD, so I'd like to have fglrx.
I red at bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=569828#p569828 (post #319) that it's possible to patch fglrx so it runs on 2.6.30, and post #321 talks about getting rid of the spamming messages. Pleas take a look and see if you could do something. I'll kiss you bottom :D
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that fix requires recompiling the kernel from what I can see, then using the 2.6.29 patch with an update.

I don't do that level of fglrx support, and never will, fglrx is NOT a driver you should plan on ever using with new kernels, period.

However, if someone provides link to a single patch for fglrx itself, nothing external required, that works, I'll test it and if it works and runs, use it.

But I don't get paid to do this work, I already know fglrx doesn't work with new kernels or new xorg's, so there's no point in wasting much dev time on it.

However, one thing I'm NOT going to do is spend any dev time trying to get a new patch working, someone else has to make the patch, and I'll use it, otherwise no go, unless amd/ati pays me.

Hint: either accept radeonhd/radeon, with all its limitations and slowness, or buy nvidia next time.
sickie
Reply Quote
I'll stick with that piece of sh#t :)
But thank you anyway...and don't get all worked up. Relax, here's a cup of tea. :>
Bye&thanks for your kernels.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
damentz is the kernel dev, not me, but I'm the one who deals with the patches in sgfxi for non free driver. Not getting worked up, just letting you know what the situation is with fglrx. Basically you can't run it reliably on any cutting edge system like Arch or Sid/Testing, that's just how it is.

The formula that works is this: wait for kernel support, then don't update kernel until it's known that the next version is supported by latest fglrx. AMD/ATI explicitly state that they do not support latest kernels or xorgs, they only support mainstream static distros like redhat or ubuntu long term release or SUSE. Commercial stuff that is. When we get fglrx working on new stuff, which we did on 2.6.29, that's a bonus, but don't expect it.