rbxi exits with error 25 - is backup successful?
rossi
Reply Quote
Hello:

During a backup using rbxi, I obtain several messages from rsync like:

rsync: symlink "/media/IOMEGA_HDD/backup-rs/rossiar/Desktop/vmd_dna_demos_2002/Short_1/efield.psf" -> "../efield_short.psf" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

rsync: rename "/media/IOMEGA_HDD/backup-rs/rossiar/Desktop/www.stolaf.edu/academics/chemapps/jmol/docs/examples-11/data/.1myg.cif.b2ammT" -> "Desktop/www.stolaf.edu/academics/chemapps/jmol/docs/examples-11/data/1myg.cif": File exists (17)

Then rbxi exits with

Error 25: Your backup application rsync exited with error: 23
Please check the source of the error and try again. Exiting rbxi now.

But, it seems as if the backup has been successful. Is this correct? Can I trust that I have a complete backup, and that rsync complains a little but passes the return code to rbxi.

Thanks for your help with this.

Warm regards,

Angelo
techAdmin
Reply Quote
No, I assume it failed, it looks like it couldn't write to the disk, possibly because it's ntfs? which has a 255 character limit to full file path.

I can't tell you why that failed though, it's not related to rbxi or rsync, they are doing their jobs and exiting on failure as intended. Or worse, fat32 or fat.

You cannot preserve unix type file data on fat or ntfs. That's my initial guess anyway, must be a unix type real file system, and of course the disk needs to not be full etc.