Can not get my computer to stop rebooting
tamainv
Reply Quote
I have Windows XP Media Center 2005. My kids say they didn't download anything but I have my doubts. One day computer is fine, next day when you turn it on it brings up the start in safe mode, last configuration that worked, etc. choosig anyone of these does not work and it continues to try and reboot.

Normally this would not be a problem and I would just use the computer I bought a couple years ago and discard the one having issues. HOWEVER, since both of my parents died in the last 1.5 years and ALL of my pictures are on the computer, I must have this one working so that if nothing else I can take off all my pictures. I have learned (maybe the hard way) to back up everything.

Other issue I have lost the disks for this computer.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The rebooting problem itself is not possible to diagnose remotely in general, since it can be caused by a wide variety of things.

However, your kids may be telling the truth, one cause is initial motherboard failure, which can start at any time, or ram or ram+motherboard hardware problems.

There are other causes as well for this issue.

However, the causes in general do no not involve a dead hard disk, so your data is safe and sound in most likelihood, available on the hard disk in question if you remove it and put it into another computer, assuming that your windows can read the file system (ie, windows me or 98 cannot read the windows vista file system.)
THANKS!!
tamainv
Reply Quote
Ok, I'll stop having fits with the boys until I know for sure. They will APPRECIATE that.

I will get my computer in to the local computer shop on Tuesday if my Vista can't read my XP. Yes I know Vista is horrible but that's all you can buy these days.

You have made my day just knowing that there is hope the pictures are still intact.

I am very thankful daughter for those of you with computer abilities.