Sidux - clean install - 1st key things to do with smxi?
jakesully
Reply Quote
Hi,
I love Sidux & smxi (newbie though :))

So far I have done quite a few installs and used KDE 4 and xfce. I like kde 4 more than xfce, but kde seems to hang up here or there.

The main issue i have had is slow web browsing and hanging with opera and iceweasel.

I am doing a new install, but wasn't sure what the best way to run smxi 1st was to do a dist-upgrade.

What I have been doing is just running smxi and choosing the auto options, then tonight I ran it and went through the post upgrade items, ran the tweaks for mozilla, the advanced that seemed to apply, and then the graphics update.

I have added Opera, Java, Flash for my "non-free" items.

Is there a better way to do the update or figure out why it is so slow? Opera is almost unusable.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You've already asked me about the slow opera and I've already answered, if you don't read what answers I give and ignore the advice I won't spend more time with you, I'm sorry.
Opera?
jakesully
Reply Quote
Hi,
Sorry about that, I didn't see your message about the slow opera issue. I am reviewing the posts now and will search for the answer you sent.

I read your note about iceweasel and opera being the only real choices and then I didn't see anything else.

I did a new install last night, put on SIdux KDE lite, then ran smxi "auto" and did the dist-upgrade. I haven't installed anything yet aside from IceWeasel.

I will read all the posts again and make sure I do everything else you mentioned.
Slow browsing
jakesully
Reply Quote
Hi H2,
I read the posts and I don't think I missed anything in regards to your advice about what to do with the browsers.

I will narrow down my questions and apologize for the confusion, and will stick to one question per post.

My basic issue is for some reason my whole system slows down trying to browse the web. I have tried xfce, kde lite, kde full.

I am sticking with kde lite right now so I can learn more about installing, removing, cleaning and maintaining the system.
I found how to add in a script using your smxi -X which worked great.

I am just wondering now after a clean install I ran smxi - did the auto upgrade, let the kernel update, and have used apt-get install iceweasel, and then used the exoodles script to install flash, mplayer, mozilla-mplayer, lame, ffmpeg, and the couple other items in there, not acroread.

Do you have any recommendations on how to narrow down the browsing issue or how to tweak the system for best performance? I haven't turned on any graphics features in KDE yet at all.

Thx again, and I appreciate it.
Jake
techAdmin
Reply Quote
yes, we already went through this, your wifi driver isn't working right, this isn't related in any way to smxi.

I believe you noted that with wired, the connection is fine.

Again, it's important to realize that it's not about browsers, it's about your internet connectivity, the drivers that run that in your system.

We already discussed this here: techpatterns.com/forums/about1262.html

and my answer hasn't changed, though apparently you don't want to hear what I'm saying since it's not registering.
opera
jakesully
Reply Quote
thx, I got it and it does register. I had mentioned opera was slow, and read your post about the wifi.

I had thought I put in that all browsing was slow, and as you mentioned it was my wifi, but that can't be the problem since on my new install it works great.

I think it has to be a browser addon or plugin. It happened at some point after my last install, and I had only added a few packages - all using either smxi or apt-get, non-free flash, non-free java, opera, icedove, iceowl, wine, rdesktop, krdc, and that is it.

I figure it must be something so I will just do one at a time now and see what happens.

thx though, sorry to bother you about this issue.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ok, you're finding the solutions, I can't really do that for you, you have to find the causes then remove them, sounds like you're on the way.
eriefisher
Reply Quote
Sometimes some people have to be provoked into problem solving. It looks like your on the right track now though. Install one thing at a time until the problem shows up and you will have at least found part of your problem.