New Sidux install-Advice & Help PLEASE??!!
jakesully
Reply Quote
Hi,
I love the smxi script, and Sidux, but I am seeing some random weird issues.

Browsing is slow for some reason, I have tried Opera (preferred), IceWeasel, SwiftFox, and Firefox. All about the same, and Konqeuror is OK but not great for media playing and some sites....

I am also looking for "recommended apps" and any info on what the best option is to get a solid set of console tools, system utils, and then I need a good mail app (Thunderbird or IceDove?), open office, and a calendar tool like IceDove to add to my mail app.

Any recommendations would be MUCH Appreciated. I have done a few installs so far and what I have done is a full & Lite install, then before doing anything else I have run a dist-upgrade accepting all the defaults with SMXI, then I just add in a couple things like Opera.

It definitely seems slower using Wireless than wired - but the speed is drastically slower using wireless than any other OS i have seen, seems something is wrong.

I also used exoodles for the media "stuff" add-ons.

Thanks!!
Jake
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There isn't much choice, for a full featured browser that works, iceweasel (firefox) is about it, or Opera if you don't mind non free stuff.

For email clients it's the same, really the only choice that's practical is icedove (thunderbird), or kmail if that does enough for you, but I find kmail to be a bit feature incomplete.

Wifi stuff is the firmware you are using, I can't help with that, the best solution to linux wifi is to buy the best supported chips like intel standard ipw type stuff. Some other chipsets might have good linux kernel support, others don't, it's not generic, it depends on what your wifi chip is.

Again, for Office apps that actually work, Openoffice.org is about your only realistic choice unless the reduced feature set of koffice is enough for you (but be warned, koffice does not handle microsoft .doc or .docx files well at all).

You're more likely to get support and help if you narrow down your terms, slow can mean so many different things, the first thing to test is that a standard wired connection works as expected, if it does, then the problem is the wifi, and you have to solve that separately, that's unrelated to anything smxi does, and I in general buy wifi for its linux support, good luck getting poorly supported chipsets working well in the near future, though this stuff is improving quickly I have to say, but Intel remains the preferred option due to their good linux support.

Again, you'll have to learn about wifi and linux, it's not always good because sometimes there are no real drivers available, and the linux guys have to reverse engineer the driver or there are other bugs or issues, it's all depending on your wifi chipset, but I can't help with that, you have to learn that part and find out what the status is for your chipset.

Remember, with non free software they write non free drivers after signing agreements not to disclose source code and so on, so windows often has far better wifi support for some types of wifi chips than linux has had, and may ever have, unless those companies change their policies.