Downgrading sidux to stable to keep out KDE4
dzz
Reply Quote
KDE4 is a radical change. So is this.

techpatterns.com/forums/about1113.html
had some info on downgrading sidux to testing. I linked it because it's relevant but I'm writing about downgrading to stable here. I am a user of smxi and aware it is now for all Debian so I hope this post is relevant here, if only out of academic interest.

My main system (sidux, now frozen but DU'd till kde4 appeared) is around 5 years old. I want to keep that going as long as possible and not reinstall. I like sidux but not kde4; in the argument between style and functionality I want functionality .. I have kde4 test installs so I know (from my point of view) how it behaves and looks.

So I did a test on my bootable main system backup (real hard disk this time not vm) and downgraded to lenny. using apt-preferences as I posted before. There was no risk as I can reload the backup any time and quickly. It worked.

I am now wondering what to do with the main system . I don't like any alternative WM's I have seen. I could just leave it but then security risks and problems installing new software. I have heard of debsecan but I am now swayed towards downgrade to lenny, having proven it to work.

On a more positive note, these tests have proven the solidity of Debian generally and the rolling-release principle....and it is still ongoing here, nothing to prevents upgrading later.......

Oh yes, disclaimer: This is recommended by nobody, supported by nobody, if you try you are (almost) on your own!

But if kde4 for you causes antiperistalsis and for whatever reason do not want to reinstall, it is possible to downgrade, till either there are serious functionality improvements or kde3 is deprecated.

I will of course keep a sidux test install with that hope. of improvement.

EDIT
Just noticed
techpatterns.com/forums/about1193.html
The apt-preferences suggested there seem interesting for me to try on the downgraded box.