"dist-upgrade --fix-missing" in smxi possible?
dekalbave
Reply Quote
I waited a while, and just did the whole upgrade to KDE4 and Xorg 1.6, but when "regular" dist-upgrade ran, there were problems fetching kernel modules for sunsite.edu server I had picked in setting up smxi. Seems that using option 1 - force, and option 2 - dist-upgrade again left me with 570+ packages downloaded but seemingly not installable. So I quit smxi, tried it by hand and apt suggested using the --fix missing command. I worked like a charm, so I was wondering if that option might need to be added, at least temporarily, to smxi?

Anyway, perhaps I missed something. But I do want to thank h2 for the fairly painless upgrade to KDE4 and new Xorg. Hey, my keyboard even worked with your Xorg tweaks! So thanks again for all the work you put into smxi and related scripts.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
--fix-missing is too risky to use as a default. Generally, with these sidux mirrors, if you see one have a download error, do NOT continue, exit, and switch mirror using: smxi -M

then go on. You should always have two mirrors, sidux.com or one of the other european core mirrors, and an alternate. The sidux mirrors are not reliable at all except the core ones in europe. But smxi won't let you only use a non core one anyway.
dekalbave
Reply Quote
thanks for the clarification!