smxi - newbie to sidux - dist-upgrade to kde 4.2 + general ?
jakesully
Reply Quote
Hi
I am trying to do a smxi script updrade from a new Sidux KDE 4 install on a dual core 64bit, 4gb ram laptop.

I read a bunch of things and found that doing smxi -! 2 should do what I want.

I am a bit confused on the script though, so I need some help.

Is the -! the portion that upgrades all the smxi stuff?

Is the 2 portion the part that does a "conversion" over a regular dist-upgrade?

I looked at the -h options and found 2 under the conversion.

I also want to use this for basic install/uninstalls of software, does this auto resolve dependencies and how can I clean up unused software and dependencies?

Thx!! I came to sidux for this and think I will be fine, just a point int he right direction to make sure I am reading everything OK.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the -! 2 was a temporary testing only option, the kde 4 conversion is now default and automatic, and does not require the -! 2 trigger, which is a testing option that triggers whatever current testing things smxi has, usually nothing..

It will remove kde 3, reinstall any kde 3 apps it can, and install kde 4.

For more information read the script navigation documentation page.

That tends to be the most up to date place re what the current feature of smxi are.

Take a look at the smxi.org site in general to answer your questions.
Richard
Reply Quote
Now running KDE 4.2.2 on
Host sidux91 Kernel 2.6.29-4.slh.1-sidux-686 i686 (32 bit)
sidux 2009-01 Ουρανός - kde-full - (200902151348)

sidux Howto:
I tried the howto on a fresh install of 2009-01. It completed OK but apparently my aptitude was not appropriate, at any rate it wouldn't start Kde.

with smxi:
Reinstalled 2009-01 (5 min from CD). On the stock 2009-01 ran smxi for a lengthy but successful conversion to Kde4.2.2. Then upgraded the kernel, installed all the extras that I needed, and rebooted again. Everything copacetic on sidux as sidux for a while.

Learning to like Kde4.2.2, but really,really glad that I have an install of oSuse with Kde3.5.10 to work on while I learn about kde4. There's lots to like. It is greatly improved since my last trial a couple of months ago. It is faster, prettier and frustrating all at once. Desktop seems more settled. Most things work.

Note: I left the testing repo active which seemed to inhibit the d-u.
After rebooting, there were about 450 packages left to upgrade. Switched to tracking only sid/sidux. ** apt-get now running a d-u in a console. Time will tell. :) It completed OK. Guess a reboot and rerun d-u just to check.

New trial for Kde4.2.2: only synaptic and apt-get installed. I will use synaptic for installing/removing most things. apt-get in a console for d-u until something breaks. If that doesn't break it, I'll use synaptic for everything until it either does or doesn't. apt-get is faster setting the OOo hold in smxi.

Beginning to think that the best way to run sidux2testing is to install each new release. No longer reusing the /opt partition since openSuse snarled that up. Now create an /ops part for tools and such. On install only /, swap and mount all the rest. Less hassle. sidux still has one of the best installers around. And it is fast.

Edit: Going to chicken out on Kde4 for a while. Going back to Kde3.5.10 for a better Kde experience. :}