Page: 1, 2  Next

Problem booting up liquorix kernel
plvera
Reply Quote
Hello:
I tried installing the latest liquorix kernel in antix8,using smxi and the installation went fine.

However, at boot up, the kernel hangs just before the fuse init line (at least from what I noticed of other kernel boots).

This is a Dell desktop. I've installed liquorix in an old Dell laptop and it's been running great.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Pedro
damentz
Reply Quote
Sorry for the late response, this forum isn't popular yet so I haven't found a need to look at it often.

Is grub set to boot from UUID's? What about /etc/fstab?
plvera
Reply Quote
Damentz:

It was fstab. I forgot that I had to change it and had done so in my laptop already.

Once I changed fstab to uuid, liquorix booted up very nicely.

thanks for your help.

Pedro
damentz
Reply Quote
Hey no problem :)
Stian1979
Reply Quote
My kernel is not booting eather.
What is it I should change in the fstab?
I'm quite green on customising anything except the themes in kde.
damentz
Reply Quote
It is most likely that inside /etc/fstab, you are booting to /dev/hd[abcdefgh]. Instead, you can switch that to /dev/sd[abcdefgh] or convert your fstab to UUIDs.

If you run the tool blkid, you can find the UUID associated with your filesystems.

Afterwards, replace /dev/hdX with UUID=uuid here. You may also need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and edit the root= line to be equivalent to your fstab file.

Personally, I would recommend using UUIDs since it doesn't matter what the name of the filesystem is or what filesystem it is, it will always have a unique identifier that your system can use instead.
Stian1979
Reply Quote
Did not find the package blkid.

Changing the root line in grub confused me since it's not root /dev/hda3 like in fstab, but root (hd0,2)
Stian1979
Reply Quote
Ignore the last post, I screwed up my config files a few times, but now it "works"
I'm inside KDE with no sound.
Gues I got to work on that one.
I'm now building a liquorix kernel from source so good luck to me :D

Edit: Newer mind, it works now.
Stian1979
Reply Quote
My cd rom stopped working, did not try it for some days and I suspect it's the newk kernel settings doing it.
I chenged fstab to read /dev/sr0 but don't seam to work.

Is there any gain in using UUID by the way?
damentz
Reply Quote
Yes, if you switch from the ATA module to SATA, then you wouldn't deal with this problem (if UUIDs were already in effect).

Though, you should note that KDE4 and other modern desktop environments like XFCE or GNOME use hal operate your cdrom device. If you include /dev/cdrom in /etc/fstab, you will have some odd conflicts.

Though, I'm not sure why it simply stopped working - that is new to me. Check dmesg for anything odd.
Page: 1, 2  Next