ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device off suspend
jeffd
Reply Quote
If you get this problem on Debian systems, make sure to first install acpi-support package for acpi. But, I also found that the fix:

:: Code ::
mmod thermal; modprobe thermal

did the job as well, suspend worked without throwing out those endless errors of unable to turn cooling device off...

Then do this:
:: Quote ::
it handles unloading certain modules before suspend
and apps can also trigger to turn off and turn back on

add a script in there after installing that package
to suspend.d
echo "rmmod thermal" > /etc/acpi/suspend.d/71-unload-thermal.sh && chmod +x /etc/acpi/suspend./71-*

I have an issue with my Acer TravelMate 6460 laptop, running nyx (updated bar the kernel, which is stuck at 2.6.25-4.slh.3-sidux-amd64 because of fglrx issues.

System is fine and very stable (as usual with sidux Smile, and fans appear to be working correctly, but I'm getting a lot of the following in my system logs:

ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN0] to D3
ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [ffff8100bf634120] 'off'

or
ACPI: Transitioning device [FAN0] to D0
ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [ffff8100bf634120] 'on'

Googling throws up:
www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-kernel-70/unable-to-turn-cooling-device-on-fc6-550833/

which suggests incorrect values in one of the powerstates files at:
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points (FC6)

When I look at my own /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/

I see TZ00/ TZ01/ TZVL/ and TZVR/

All of them contain trip_points files with some, but not all of the powerstates values defined.

Does anyone know whether this approach will work for sidux, and which of the above directories /or a new THRM/ will lead me to the right file to edit?

Cheers

I had the same problem after an suspend to ram/disk. The message "acpi unable to turn cooling device [...] off" kept spamming every 2 sec.

A "rmmod thermal; modprobe thermal" as root stops the message and after this command i could suspend to ram/disk without the problem coming back again. It's weird, but work for me.
I've put the command in my rc.local (if there is a better solution please tell me) and have no problem since.

source