Page: Previous  1, 2

techAdmin
Reply Quote
It's not a placebo, it's far more responsive I'd guess because it's doing far less work to paint those windows on your 2d screen.

Remember, no matter how often you hear the term '3d', this is NOT 3d, it's a 2d emulation of 3d, which just means a lot more work for your system.

Try it, reach out, and touch your screen. It's all on those 2 dimensions.

then touch a ball, pen, or whatever. That's 3d. That's why I don't like the pretense of 3d on 2d.
The Inscrutable Mr. X
Reply Quote
Yeah, there's no two ways about it. I'm not imagining this. It's just plain snappier and more responsive all the way around.

I have my extra desktops (something actually useful!!) and I think I'm all good to go...

Unless you know why Deb 5.0 has a problem with locking up when I try to "wake" it up after using the "Suspend" option from the Shutdown menu?
Happens every dang time.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
If it's a desktop, not all motherboards actually work with suspend to disk.

Mine doesn't, though it pretends it does.

Your suspend settings might be wrong too, all depends on the symptoms.

If your system looks for and finds the suspend data to wake on reboot, then the settings are probably right, if it fails to find them, they may be wrong.

So many places it can be....
The Inscrutable Mr. X
Reply Quote
Gah! Turns out I'm fulla c--p. Suspend works, it just takes it own sweet time coming to a wakeful state.

Now, O Mighty, Powerful and Knowledgeable One, riddle me this!

I download a .deb file, say, a Frostwire .deb for instance, and I save it to my desktop. I then right-click on said .deb file and use "Open With gDebi Installer" to... to... that's right, INSTALL it and everything appears to happen quite nicely, gDebi prompts me about the install, and then shows the progress bar of the install taking place; yet there's no Frostwire to be found. I'm not saying I can't live without Frostwire, but I can't live without Frostwire.

Shouldn't I be able to install a .deb package natively in Debian? I mean that seems like a stupid thing to ask, so maybe the better question is WTF am I screwing up now??
techAdmin
Reply Quote
do: which frostwire
or: type -p frostwire

and you'll see if it's installed.

Generally I prefer to use dpkg directly to install debs, like so:

dpkg -i frostwire*.deb

That way I can see what's going on, but I'm assuming it installed fine and simply didn't create a menu item in the process, or did, and you haven't found it, both are common cases in my experiences.

:: Code ::
Now, O Mighty, Powerful and Knowledgeable One, riddle me this!

sadly, knowing a few odd factoids about an odd little operating system known as gnu/linux makes me neither mighty, powerful, or particularly knowledgeable, though I do spend far too much time banging my head against the various walls I encounter to be healthy, and in the process tend to now and then actually remember certain things I learned while banging said head against said wall.... that's about as far as it goes though...
The Inscrutable Mr. X
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
do: which frostwire
or: type -p frostwire

and you'll see if it's installed.

Generally I prefer to use dpkg directly to install debs, like so:

dpkg -i frostwire*.deb

That way I can see what's going on, but I'm assuming it installed fine and simply didn't create a menu item in the process, or did, and you haven't found it, both are common cases in my experiences.

I'll try those commands when I get home. Frostwire sure seemed to install correctly but I'm not sure. I did SCOUR my menus for an entry, though, AND I tried getting it to fire from the Terminal so truly, I don't panic at the first sign of trouble... I really do expend a certain degree of effort before bugging you about it.

I'm not familiar with dpkg yet (pity me) but I assume I would cd into the directory in which the .deb to be installed is located and then follow your example, correct? And this process should then work with any .deb assuming I do my part correctly?

Hmmm... This all SOUNDS simple enough, but not so simple I can't manage to screw it up somehow. Bear with me... I'm learing; albeit a bit slowly perhaps.

:: techAdmin wrote ::
sadly, knowing a few odd factoids about an odd little operating system known as gnu/linux makes me neither mighty, powerful, or particularly knowledgeable.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. Thank you for your patient assistance.
Page: Previous  1, 2