smxi update/upgrade for itself and all modules at once
mikekgr
Reply Quote
Dear h2,

I have a wish request for the smxi, is it possible to include an update/upgrade mechanism for smxi and all modules so to have the possibility to have everything update/upgraded at once? (and even running smxi inside X ?).

Many many thanks.

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis
miltonjohn
Reply Quote
yes that would be great like the INXI -U option!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
mikekgr, what problem would this solve, and why do you want this feature?

Obviously, it's fairly easy to do, but why? smxi already updates itself and all its library files when required, live, as it's running, fully automatically, and has the -U option which updates the core script engine as well, but I can't quite see what problem would be solved by updating all the script components, some of which, like the conversion lib, is only used once anyway.
mikekgr
Reply Quote
Dear h2,
I have smxi installed in most of my sidux, debian installations some of them special case installation on usb stick. For me it is a little bored to navigate to all possible menus in order to get the final version of the core+libraries that you have underneath the smxi. Some times what I use smxi I don't have true internet available and I use cached deb's or in-house proxy
It is so simple! If you can/like to do do it so otherwise you are the boss for your smxi do whatever you think better...

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Ok, that's a fine reason, I just wanted to make sure there was a reason that was real, not a misunderstanding.

I'll add a specific option, like -! 20 to do that, look for it tomorrow.
mikekgr
Reply Quote
Dear h2,
I would like to say a BIG thanks for your efforts and the implementation of this nice feature.

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis
techAdmin
Reply Quote

smxi -! 20 will update/download all script components, including inxi, sgfxi, svmi

smxi -! 21 will download/install rbxi

smxi -h will show these options now
mikekgr
Reply Quote
Dear h2,

already tested and worked perfectly good (even inside X session!).

Many thanks for make it happens!

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis
techAdmin
Reply Quote
mikegr, a good feature request.

Just so you understand, because of the size and complexity of smxi now, I no longer randomly add features, especially if there appears to be no real good reason for them, but any time I can add a new, useful feature, with clear utility, such as the case you outlined in your requirements, it's usually fairly certain it will be added.

And, in this case, it gave me the excuse I was looking for to include an rbxi installer as well, since it's almost the same exact logic, and the same function can handle it, which means I can now also add an rbxi installer to the package install section as well, using the new function.

I'm going to add one thing, if it's out of x, the output will have standard smxi colors, if it's in x, it won't use any colors except red for warning / failure.
Crust
Reply Quote
Great feature. Tested and working fine over here>\

Thanks.