update-grub
eriefisher
Reply Quote
I updated the script this morning and then grabbed the latest sidux kernel (2.6.27-10.slh.1-sidux-686). Everything seemed to go smooth but when I rebooted I was not offered the new kernel.

Once up and running I ran update-grub then rebooted. The kernel was now available and booted without issue.

I'm wondering if maybe "update-grub" was overlooked in the script this time out.

Just FYI.

eriefisher
techAdmin
Reply Quote
no, it's there.

I don't know why it failed, are you using that somewhat broken mepis default /boot/grub/menu.lst?

If you are, that would explain it.
eriefisher
Reply Quote
It's the same menu.lst I have been using all along with your script. It's no longer the default mepis .lst but converted to a proper one.

I don't know why it happened but I will watch next time and let you know.

Thanks.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
In general, the sidux kernel packages, I'm sure Debian kernel packages, always run update-grub post install, but to make sure, long ago I also added update-grub post post install.

At one point it even ran twice to make sure.

Not sure why your grub didn't get updated, possibly some small typo or something in your menu.lst?

I've never seen it fail to update, so I'd look for something specific to your system.
eriefisher
Reply Quote
Update:

Just moved to the 2.6.28-0.slh.2-sidux-686 and the menu was updated automagically as usual.