Page: Previous  1, 2

Ghstryder
Reply Quote
sleekmason - I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread.

h2 - I thought I would put this here to add to our excludes samples, feel free to move it. Thanks for all your help!

I was doing the Snoopy happy dance a while ago. As you know, h2, I have been wrestling with my excludes.

The thought of using just includes, and excluding everything else had a fair amount of appeal, so I have been trying to get it to work using the example below.

:: techAdmin wrote ::
By the way, if you want to exclude everything except the includes you listed, just do this:

# this will include these directories and all their contents
+ /something/**
+ /anotherthing/**
+ /yetanotherthing/**
## and this super bomb exclude excludes everything else
## include always overrides excludes

I am not going to admit how much time I have in this now. Nothing I did would work. I finally tried ending it with - /*/* which did the trick. I can only guess that the - * is just to all encompassing.

I will include what I have so far. This is working like a charm with one exception - it is missing the Downloads folder. I am sure that is related to the attempt to exclude the ISOFiles folder, which is a sub-folder of Downloads.

:: Code ::
### User Data ###
+ /*/bin/
+ /*/bin/**
+ /*/Digicam/
+ /*/Digicam/**
+ /*/Documents/
+ /*/Documents/**
+ /*/Downloads/
+ /*/Downloads/**
+ /*/Music/
+ /*/Music/**
+ /*/Pictures/
+ /*/Pictures/**
+ /*/RodDNA/
+ /*/RodDNA/**
+ /*/Video/
+ /*/Video/**
- **/ISOFiles/
- /*/*

I still have a lot to do here, and I haven't even touched the / excludes yet. With this in hand, though, I am far more confident (and relieved).
Ghstryder
Reply Quote
So... in the example above, I was not backing up the Downloads folder, and the contents of Downloads/ISOFiles were not being excluded.

The Downloads issue was easy, I can't read. It was Download. With that fix made, I tackled the ISOFiles folder.

My interpretation of what I have read indicated that the ISOFiles folder had to be below the includes for the parent folder. After trying just about everything, I moved it above the first entry for the Download folder. Eureka!

At this point, this example is backing up the listed folders with their contents, excluding the rather large ISOFiles folder, which does not contain anything I can't replace, and excluding *everything* else. This seems to me to be far simpler than a huge excludes list. To be sure, there is other stuff that I want to back up from /home, including my mail. With this success, I can start capturing those items.

This should give me a fast, lean but comprehensive backup solution, one well worth the effort I've expended. As usual, I have learned a lot along the way.

Thanks again, h2!
Page: Previous  1, 2