Problem detecting some nvidia cards
cathbard
Reply Quote
While trying to install the nvidia drivers with sgfxi for a 9500GT it failed because it couldn't identify the card. I checked lspci and sure enough it returned "unknown" for the model. Running update-pciids as root (after upgrading pciutils to 1:3.0.0-6) fixed it and sgfxi went through clean.
Perhaps this fix can be added to the script when it fails to detect the card? I have found the same issue with other onboard nvidia cards in some laptops.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Please post a link to a paste of your /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log for the relevant install.

nvidia pci id should default to offering latest driver, not fail.
log
cathbard
Reply Quote
Here ya go. I included both the failed one and the successful one after running update-pciids
[link]
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There's no failure indicated on the first one, and the pci id numbers are present.

If the initial card information says unknown whatever that's irrelevant, that's just some display output, period.

The only real thing that matters is the internal device type and id numbers.

If sgfxi offers 177.80, the latest nvidia, that means the card is being handled as a default nvidia, non legacy. In other words, I use a black list for legacy, and default is always current driver.

So I don't see any bug here beyond a superficial output thing.

:: Code ::

Video Card Information: nVidia Corporation Device 0640 (rev a1)
Video Card Type: 10de
Video Card Number: 0640
Installing driver to kernel: 2.6.25-9.slh.1-sidux-amd64
sgfxi script version: 3.10.3
sgfxi start options:
SYSTEM_BASE: sid

This is why I like the smxi, svmi, and sgfxi logging, it can show this stuff immediately.
cathbard
Reply Quote
But it did stop before it installed the driver. After update-pciids it behaved normally and wandered off to nvidia and dl'd the driver and did it's normal deeds. I can't remember the actual exit error I got but it doesn't seem to be in the log as you say. If I find the same thing again on anything I'll take note and let you know.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The first one was exited at the point where you hit x to exit or enter to continue. The pci id is not related, it had already correctly identified the card brand and type, that's logged, the unknown card junk is just some output that has no meaning internally.

each function logs itself when it starts and ends, this one never even started the install process, so I have to assume you exited, or some other unrelated oddness occurred.