Debian kernels - smxi handling improved
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Since Debian kernels will often release new versions, say 2.6.26-1686-8, where the (-8) is not visible unless you run apt-cache policy etc... for the new kernel, usually a security fix, and since these sub version numbers for Debian were not handled by smxi, I updated smxi to now handle for Debian only showing sub version numbers to let you know when a new debian kernel , ie 2.6.26-1-686-10 is released, and I also modified smxi to allow for kernels to be reinstalled even if the package name exists on your system.

This should help make kernel updates for Debian a bit more obvious than they now are, and smxi will show this information to users to let them know what the options are.

Hopefully I didn't mess up any logic here, but I think it should work fine.

Since grub doesn't show the subversion, I'm not going to try to get too clever with post kernel install graphics drivers reminders, hopefully people will figure that out, but also since I reset the kernel equal flag, it might also work as hoped.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
miltonjohn, please do not piggyback an unrelated question to an existing thread, that makes it hard to track things.

If you have a new question create a new thread.

I split your topic here