smxi Sid/Testing/Stable backend warnings - join the group!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I posted in this sidux thread about needing to update the smxi warning page group members.

Please give that a read, and then think about if you want to be added to either the Sid, Testing, or Stable warning page group.

stable obviously will not really be active.

Basically, the way this works is that there is a backend webpage that you login to and you can update the warnings, alerts, hold install packages, and config file questions.

It's fairly easy to use, and what I want to start doing is have people who value this stuff contribute for their preferred flavor, Sid or Testing.

All that is required is that you more or less follow your debian release version, and follow more or less warnings, bugs, etc. Nobody has to be obsessive about this, the way I figure it, if a few people around the world actually do this, it will cover most smxi users most of the time.

smxi has 3 separate warning pages, for sid, testing, and stable, and you get assigned a password and url for the relevant one.

If you have a question, this is a good place to ask, if you know you want to join, send me a private message with your preferred password and email address, and I'll add you to the list.

Maybe it would also pay to document the options a bit so you can not forget what to do, but overall, it's fairly easy and self explanatory.

The testing group is of most interest to me, although I have to admit that I'm getting a bit tired of the sid group failing to update and put stuff on hold. Remember, putting a package on hold is never a bad thing, and when in doubt, put on hold, then figure out if it's really needed, or if a fix needs to be done in smxi itself, but the hold keeps the stuff from breaking until either the bug is fixed in debian, or the fix is put into smxi itself.

Given the state of the global economy now, it's not reasonable to ask anyone, including me, to track this stuff 24/7, but a group of 10 or so can easily do that without really having it change much in their lives. Less for testing, since testing doesn't have those bugs appear suddenly. in fact, almost never.