Bug: Cannot install fluxbox/xfce/fvwm-crystal.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
This is in antiX.

Install packages, desktop managers.
Cannot install xfce, fluxbox and fvwm-crystal as there is no "rename" to install.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
That bug is fixed, thanks. I had incorrectly assumed rename was a package, but it's actually just a symolic link to a part of the base install of perl (see comments for information on rename itself).
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Tested again and it is indeed fixed ;)

For the fluxbox option(s) you have 5! cli browsers. lynx, links, links2, w3m, elinks.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Yes, they are all small, and each is useful for different things. w3m used to be best, but now links2 is I think technically most advanced, and of course, lynx is always useful for something or other. elinks I haven't followed for a while, it was getting pretty good at css at one point.

Rather than play the game of: oh, this one is best, don't use that one, or, that one is best, don't use this one!, I just used them all.

One reason for this is that, petty as it might seem, I just got tired of sidux not shipping nano, which is probably the most popular normal human console editor, preferring mcedit, which is a mediocre but adequate one. So instead, I decided to just install the main ones that most people might want, and not worry about picking which is 'best'.

Actually, to my surprise, what ends up taking most room is vim and its dependencies, if I was going to remove one package, that should probably be it, since everything has vi anyway.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Fair points, and totally agree with you about nano and vim.

Another request (again)

Let users actually see what apps will be installed when they choose for example the xfce, fluxbox option and then hit y/n. At the moment, users don't actually know what choosing the fluxbox option etc will actually bring as well as fluxbox.

I think your choices are good, it would be nice to see them and then choose.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the package installer, if you look at the lib, sm-lib-package-install uses shortcut names to install the package groups. These shortcuts trigger loading of package groups in the actual package installer.

In other words, the installer thing doesn't know what is going to get installed until it's actually requested by the user.

This was to avoid some maintenance headaches etc of hard coding in package names that might change.

However. looking over fvwm I see it's got some legacy packages in it, that should be installed with a media installer section, not the core packages.

However, the user always can see what will get installed via apt and chose to exit if they so chose, it always asks y/n if you want to install the stuff unless the stuff doesn't have any dependencies, which is rare for a first install.

However, someone can document this if they want, the top of the file is where the package groups are set. Since it changes too often though, I don't think documenting it is currently worth it.