Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

hoodwink
Reply Quote
No problems noted on sidux with aptitude thus far. I converted 2 upgrade cycles (weekly) ago. Sure, it's not supported, but I can always beg for help or reinstall if anything goes boom.
deach
Reply Quote
:: hoodwink wrote ::
No problems noted on sidux with aptitude thus far. I converted 2 upgrade cycles (weekly) ago. Sure, it's not supported, but I can always beg for help or reinstall if anything goes boom.

You've got me curious now. How did you "convert" the upgrade cycles? Or is it as simple as getting aptitude then using aptitude update and aptitude dist-upgrade?....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
read this thread, it has some experience in it.
Richard
Reply Quote
@h2,
Uploaded, hopefully, the latest update, ourea2testing-notes-3.odt, for the sidux2testing install.
You may remove the previous iterations. I tried but as expected, couldn't remove them.

I'm working on an article, for Linux+DVD, on this topic.
As much as anything: they asked for something and so I'll remember.

Latest changes were to come more into line with testing, based on my bizcard install in vbox. Would appreciate your review for any errors or lapses of logic.

regards,
Richard.
hoodwink
Reply Quote
:: deach wrote ::
:: hoodwink wrote ::

You've got me curious now. How did you "convert" the upgrade cycles? Or is it as simple as getting aptitude then using aptitude update and aptitude dist-upgrade?....

All I did was to add this line in /etc/smxi.conf, per earlier instructions.

apt-type=aptitude

Of course, since this system was installed (and updated forever) with apt-get, aptitude will be missing some relationships. Thus far nothing out of the ordinary has happened.
deach
Reply Quote
okie dokie, thanks. i read thru this all but wanted to make sure I was reading it right I guess. Anyway thanks I'll keep you posted
widux
Reply Quote
just converted my sidux-KDE4 testinstall to aptitude with smxi adding this line to /etc/smxi.conf
:: Code ::
apt-type=aptitude
as recommended.

Then running a full upgrade.
No problems so far. Nothing of interest happend, aptitude just removed some needless packages, I just have to reinstall subversion.
deach
Reply Quote
I can mirror the above comment on my kde 3 sidux lite install. All ok so far.
Richard
Reply Quote
Began using aptitude on 18-Sep with Erebus-xfce installed. After release of Ourea decided to start from scratch. Installed Ourea-xfce. Made the changes in smxi.conf to aptitude and created apt.conf setting distro to texting, in sources.list added testing and testing/updates while keeping sid & sidux repos.

I feel that gives me the best of both worlds: More stability from testing and the missing parts from sid with sidux fixes. I don't really miss synaptic. Still learning aptitude.

For the first time in quite a while, my system seems to be always stable. Changed back to Kde for comparison. Kde 3.5.10 is solid. So many things just work so well. Only weirdness came from the panel was fixable -just lost its settings somehow.

Only problem I had during this time was when playing with reverting back to tracking sid. My change coincided with the breakage in OOo. Since I needed OOo, I purged OOo, changed back to tracking testing, and reinstalled. AOK. Staying with sidux tracking testing/sidux. It seems to me that this is a smoother ride. Gets things from sid that are not in testing. My experience is not great so time will tell.

It is a subjective feeling, but it really feels stable.
I am probably a d-u junkie since I tend to run aptitude everyday to see what happens. It seems more helpful than apt-get. I have not seen any evidence of problems. Will be interesting to see it's behavior during the coming months after Lenny is released. I seldom go to init 3 for anything. Occasionally a reboot seems required to sort things out, but never a problem (unless you never wanted to reboot). I usually turn my machines off at night anyway.

I try to run smxi on Fridays just to see how it goes.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3