Hi from UncleVom
UncleVom
Reply Quote
I just decided to stop by and sign-up and say thanks for all you put into smxi.

With the exception of one Windows XP box, that I can't shed for various reasons, my computers run Debian stable, testing and sidux-ified sid.

These forums look like a good resource for many things I will try to be on my best behavior with postings.

Thanks again,

UncleVom
techAdmin
Reply Quote
perfect test platforms, with latest smxi, all your non windows boxes support smxi now, stable, testing, and sid flavors.
UncleVom
Reply Quote
I didn't realize I could use it on stable or lenny.

I can't see me using it on the stable box as it pretty much just sits there boringly stable, but maybe when I update to lenny in a few months.

My testing install was getting a little ragged around the edges with junk accumulation. so I just saved my /home partition and did a plain text netinst of today's testing build. I then used smxi to put it together with KDE and various bits and pieces and it went flawlessly.

Your smxi script and related pieces sure make setting things up easy. I don't think I'll do another Debian install without using it. :-)

Thanks once again,

UncleVom
techAdmin
Reply Quote
thanks for the feedback unclevom, seems like things are working as intended.

The debian parts are of course still works in progress, and any feedback/must haves in the package install section is appreciated.

Just keep in mind, I try to make the packages the basic steps install something everyone should have, even if they don't know they should have it.

Still missing there is a multimedia section, for things like k3b, amarok, audacious, and all their various plugins people might not know about, also for light/kde type installs.

That's the only real thing it's missing.

Highly recommended: aptitude over apt-get. I'll be posting some more threads on that topic, and also appreciate feedback.