Errors on nvidia install sgfxi/lenny/smxi install
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
Just a FYI
While using smxi, when running an install of newest nvidia graphics driver, I get these error lines:

Running post installer steps...
Can't open /etc/modutils/aliases: no such file or directory
Can't open /etc/modutils/aliases: no such file or directory
./sgfxi: line 2259 /etc/modutils/aliases

This is my initial lenny install from a few weeks back. When I first ran smxi (when adding kde after installing lenny without DM, then installing graphics at the end) those error lines didn't show.
On this run of smxi there was a large dist-upgrade including the pam upgrade which restarted x before smxi finished. (I had to do ctrl-alt-f1 to bring me back to smxi). I don't know if installing graphics driver at that point without checking to see if I was out of x has anything to do with it.
Just ran smxi again, everything went though fine, but error lines persist while installing graphics. The graphics did install correctly even with the errors.

Infobash
Host/Kernel/OS "debianWtesting" running Linux 2.6.25-2-686 i686 [ Unknown distro o_O ]
CPU Info (1) AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 512 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 2310.569 MHz ]
(2) AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 512 KB cache flags( sse3 nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 2310.569 MHz ]
Videocard nVidia G70 [GeForce 7300 GT] X.Org 1.4.2 [ 1680x1050@50.0hz ]
Network cards 2x nVidia MCP55 Ethernet, at ports: b400 b000
Processes 117 | Uptime 2min | Memory 172.2/3290.8MB | HDD ATA ST3500320AS,Generic 2.0 Reader -0,Generic 2.0 Reader -1 Size 500GB (0%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce 7300 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! | GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.12 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.01
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the libpam issue there's nothing I can do about, libpam detects kdm is installed, but does not bother checking to see if it was running, so when it restarts the stuff, it restarts kdm.

That's a bug in the package in my opinion, since why would you want kdm to restart if it's not running?

I was thinking of filing a bug report on that one, it's one of the more serious ones, but instead I added a warning to the alerts about that problem.

There's no way I can dymamically test for this stuff, unfortunately.

The aliases thing didn't really matter, but I kept forgetting to add a test for it, I added that, so that error won't appear any more.