Page: Previous  1, 2

Jos.v.W.
Reply Quote
I know gcc-4.5 and 4.6 are still available in Sid,
I only wrote about myself using the default version of gcc . It iwas not about posting things as facts!
Why should Debian users need to install old versions again? If they need, Ubuntu and other users can do.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Jos, I posted what I posted to avoid other readers of this thread forming the belief that only gcc 4.7 was available in debian sid, which is what your comment suggested. If you read what you wrote, that was the implied meaning, well, not really implied, it was the content, ie, the actual meaning, it helps to use more words to explain yourself in general to avoid such miscommunications. So my posting was to clarify explicitly that you can have multiple gcc versions installed on sid.

:: Quote ::
My Debian Sid software has no gcc-4.6 dependencies anymore.

I realiize that english is probably not your first language, but the actual meaning of this sentence would be taken by most english speakers as implying that sid has no gcc 4.6 present. Or something like that, the syntax is actually slightly off so some of us would just be trying to figure out what your actual meaning there was. So to make it clear to anyone, I clarified it explicitly. So there is no reason for sid users to worry about which gcc version liquorix is built with and requires, since you can install 4.5, 4.6, and 4.7 next to each other then use the one you need.
Flesh
Reply Quote
Just the Facts:
gcc.gnu.org/

gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.7/ March 22, 2012

gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/ March 1, 2012

gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/ Apr 28, 2011

Looks like 4.6 and 4.7 are both new releases

LMDE incoming and unstable

:: Code ::

apt-cache policy gcc-4.6
gcc-4.6:
  Installed: 4.6.3-1
  Candidate: 4.6.3-1
  Version table:
     4.6.3-7 0
        -10 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
 *** 4.6.3-1 0
        500 http://debian.linuxmint.com/ incoming /  testing /main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

:: Code ::

apt-cache policy gcc-4.7
gcc-4.7:
  Installed: 4.7.0-12
  Candidate: 4.7.0-12
  Version table:
 *** 4.7.0-12 0
        -10 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/  unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

As you can see, 4.7 is only in unstable on LMDE.

Ubuntu only has 4.6 in its repos.

Its clear that 4.7 is in testing and sid in Debian.

Just the facts.
damentz
Reply Quote
Flesh, you should probably ask the LMDE package maintainers to change the way they hold back updates. I think it's more appropriate for them to control when they update core packages like Xorg, Xserver, KDE, gnome, dbus, and udev, but keep their hands off of all the miscellaneous packages that are clearly not required to functionally get to their desktop.

Not cool when you hold back gcc updates, that actually breaks dependencies in Debian's repository, and especially mine. Either way, Liquorix 3.4 will be using gcc 4.6 for the remainder of its lifetime. It seems clear to me that all non-core distributions (ex: Debian, Arch) are fumbling with their gcc 4.7 support.
Flesh
Reply Quote
Every distro does things different; the way LMDE decided to do things, good or bad, was to make things more stable, and with testing and incoming repos, that lag a month for testing, and 10 days for incoming, does that; I have tried running from the Debian repos; using testing and unstable, you can do that in LMDE; and if I did; this problem wouldn't be an issue; not that its a problem now; I just installed it from unstable; and it works fine; so each distro has a reason for doing things to make it more stable; but this is what happens; Blender 2.63, I need it; its only in unstable, so I have to install it from unstable, its a choice; I know what I'm getting into; but a kernel; if it truly does require a new gcc version, then let everyone know, and for each distro, you will have to figure out how to accomplish that; which I noted a way in Ubuntu and LMDE; so now its not an issue; I know the risk if I want to upgrade; people who don't need to not update till gcc version is in a repo they can update; and that is really as simple as it gets; I didn't need to run 3.4, the prior version worked great; its not the latest; but it required gcc from unstable or a PPA to upgrade to a version that would; same with 3.5; so just write up an explanation to let people now that, and keep things status quo; keep it simple; Liquorix is great; I was going with Ubuntu Studio to get a low latency kernel, its works great; but I like Mate better than XFCE or KDE; and I have had issues with Ubuntu as of late; so I switched back to LMDE, which I like better than Debian; I like Mate; choices, we all have to make them; I could install Mate on Ubuntu; never tired it; but its not going to fix the issues I'm having with it; LMDE seems more stable; I don't have to deal with Upgrading versions when they come out; this rolling version is a great idea; its just how to get it to roll with Liquorix that I need to work out; which I did; but when gcc is available in testing; maybe I'll switch to it; so I'm not running from unstable; but again; unstable is very stable; and I'm not going to switch it till that changes; I can run out of unstable; but have had no luck doing that with this last install of LMDE.

Thanks for update; and the heads up; now I know that 3.5 will require gcc 4.7, so Ubuntu users and LMDE users need to know what to do and how to do it; distros running from Debian testing should be fine; and LMDE can switch to debian testing if they feel comfortable doing so, me, I'm hopping LMDE will introduce an incoming for unstable also; and move unstable to lag by a month, like they did for testing; I'm sure they have to be thinking that also; it will make it more stable; and yes; I should ask them to go ahead and move 4.7 into incoming now; so I'll post that today.

Update: LMDE Forum request to put gcc 4.7 in testing
LMDE Forum request to put gcc 4.7 in testing
techAdmin
Reply Quote
oh, and welcome to the forums Flesh.

Always good to see people posting real info and data, helps keep the level up, damentz has been doing a good job setting the tone in the liquorix forums.

This gcc issue seems to come up routinely now with ubuntu, it's that frozen pool thing, but damentz is trying to support the current ubuntu, and has rolled back gcc version to support that group, I just hope ubuntu users don't come to expect him to support previous versions of ubuntu, that's not realistic.
klaxian
Reply Quote
Thanks for changing the dependencies on the headers package. It installs normally now. However, did you happen to still build the kernel with gcc-4.7? Modules and kernels don't like to work together if they are compiled with different gcc versions. DKMS failed to build nvidia for the new 3.4 liquorix kernel. Then again, it's also possible that the nvidia driver version I'm using just doesn't work with linux 3.4, but I doubt it. Thoughts?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
Then again, it's also possible that the nvidia driver version I'm using just doesn't work with linux 3.4, but I doubt it. Thoughts?

Easier to say what the nvidia version is, then one can answer.

You can tell what gcc version the kernel is built with using: inxi -bx

Shows it on top line.
klaxian
Reply Quote
Kernel: 3.3.0-8.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Nvidia: 290.10-0ubuntu1~oneiric~xup1

Never mind. I found that only the newer nvidia 295 packages work with kernel 3.4+. Unfortunately, the 295 driver had a bug that prevented it from working with my multi-screen setup. Perhaps that has been fixed. Cheers.
Page: Previous  1, 2