Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

sidux or sid?
ancleessen4
Reply Quote
I was just about to re-install sidux but after the recent row I am on hold...
What is the consensus of opinion here?
Should I carry on and install sidux and keep using smxi?
Or should I install sid with smxi?
Will the smxi script continue to function with sidux in the future?

Your nervously...
deach
Reply Quote
Ya I gotta wonder too. I've used smxi for my sidux install since the beginning but I see that things are "heating up" over there. Any word???
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
I would keep sidux running with smxi and just pop over there to find out what is happening technical wise ie upgrades etc.
deach
Reply Quote
ok Anti I guess that's what I'll do for now. I'm honestly just worried about the support concerning sidux at this point. Thanks for your answer in the other post too.
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure h2 won't abandon the users of smxi, and I don't think the devs at sidux plan to stop offering support, though the kind of support they're offering at the moment is questionable. Whatever happened to choice and the "Spirit of FOSS" over there is beyond me. As one can tell reading the posts in the forums, many of the people I met at LT last year are having a hard time with the devs attitude as well.
I thought that having the devs as moderators of the IRC channel and forums was once a good idea. It was nice being able to talk directly with those that created sidux. But, since the mood has changed, the discussions and support have taken a turn for the worse. Even in Anything Goes, anything doesn't go anymore. Freedom has been replaced with censorship, and, this is unheard of in Open Source circles. (Maybe user sponsored forums and IRC might be a solution).
On top of all that nonsense, Debian itself is having problems. I'm sure that many that have been running sid have had problems with stability recently. The ia32-libs fiasco is just one of the many screw ups that we've had to deal with. I haven't been able to upgrade my 64 bit install for weeks. Those of us that use apps like Google Earth can no longer run them on 64 bit (I think that Skype is included, since I don't use it, I'm not sure). Dist-Upgrades that fail because folders aren't created properly during the install process, another example of just sloppy maintenance. My laptop with 32 bit sidux has problems with the logon loop, that I'm sure has something to do with kde4/kdm and the nvidia driver. To me sid has, after 2 years of stability, really become unstable. (Question is, was it luck that kept it stable for so long?)
Abandoning Debian totally is not something I can bear to do, even though these problems have been going on since kde4 was dumped on us in April. I keep thinking things will turn around, so I keep it running on a couple of boxes.
I never really thought I would have to consider changing distros again (or DE's). I've been running Debian exclusively for 3 years. But that hasn't stopped me from setting up a couple of Fedora 11 installs just in case. I know others have done the same with Arch. I need bleeding edge and stability, and right now KDE and Debian aren't providing that, Gnome and Fedora are. (Blasphemy I know).
I'm hoping that my experiments with AntiX base are fruitful, geez, I can't run smxi on Fedora. ;-)
(Though inxi runs great).

Very much disappointed and confused.
deach
Reply Quote
Ya I gotta tell ya I came to sidux because of smxi. That's not to say today I don't do apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade some but in the early days I was pretty naive. When I upgraded to kde4, I did that thru smxi and it went off without a hitch. (wheew still breathing hard over that one). I must agree about almost two years of sidux being pretty stable. I know friends that run "tamed" builds that have had lots more trouble than I've had.

I guess my major question is while I don't think H2 sill abandon the script, will it still continue to work with sidux? (there I've asked). I can honestly say I have had wonderful luck with using smxi to keep my install going pretty much flawlessly. (other than some printing issues when sid went stable earlier this year).

GE9 you are right about the policies at the sidux forum. Things censored, attitudes have definitely changed. IMHO they've wasted more time over there on this then they should have. (I'd have loved to have pages and pages of answers to some of the questions I've asked there). I guess we'll have to see what the future holds.
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
@deach
If smxi works on sid it will work on sidux.
sickie
Reply Quote
Hey guys. I installed sidux 2009-02 two days ago. I'm a long time sidux user but been on Debian testing for some months. While running pure Debian I discovered is that it needs quite some tweaking (recompile/use liquorix kernel, change some config file, etc.) to get a good desktop performance while with sidux I already have that. But, on the other hand, plasma gives me a hard time with sid(ux), probably because of sid's qt4 libs.
I was never active in sidux comunity and don't give a fck about it's developers, but I red some recent threads on their forums (in relation to smxi and carthbard's outrage because of the new artwork) and I realised that sidux developers are some big assholes. But still, I use sidux because I like it as OS and will continue to do so. With smxi.
In my opinion just stick with sidux+smxi and be happy with it :D

P.S. Thank you techAdmin/h2 for your scripts, I just love you.
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
@sickie
Unlike sidux forums and IRC, we encourage different ideas and experiences here. Using sidux with smxi is allowed here.
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
Me too. I've used sidux+smxi since the split from kanotix. It's the combination I've been looking for since I moved to linux when OS/2 fell apart in the 90s and I no longer follow distrowatch, looking for something better.

I put sidux 2009-02 on a machine last week and was greatly impressed. Of course, I immediately ran smxi to make the system complete. My only worry is that sidux may implode for silly political reasons.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next