Page: 1, 2  Next

100% sid compatible distros
Crust
Reply Quote
Just wondering, what options do I have for 100% sid-compatible distros?
eriefisher
Reply Quote
I run antiX with the sid repos alone. Works great.
sedonix
Reply Quote
I sit here with a pure sid, kde3.5, 64 bit machine, working perfectly. I have never written a script or compiled anything. smxi and Synaptic are all I needed. I am at a loss as to why anyone needs a "name" distro. Isn't linux about "doing your own thing"? Yep, I purged all traces of sidux from their distro and you are left with a working sid. I like kde and if/when they get 4.??? to my liking, I will update. I update every day with 23 packages on hold until I get what I want!
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
dpkg -l | grep sidux | awk '{print $2}'

And remove sidux apps and you have Sid.

antiX-base will get you 99% Sid quickly.
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
@sedonix
I'm curious as to which packages you have on hold. Can you please give us a listing?

Thanx

@anticapitalista
Since the security updates for Dapper LTS are going to expire in a few days, I'm considering changing my Mepis 6.5.02 box to a newer OS. Thinking the antiX base is an interesting start. Can you provide a link for the manifest? I'm also curious about your sources list. It's going to be a while before I can do some experimenting, and of course there's the famous Businesscard/Debian/smxi install. I'm thinking of revising my install method, maybe replacing the businesscard with antiX base. Things could get interesting.

edit: And maybe even more interesting with a liquorix kernel.
UncleVom
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::

I'm thinking of revising my install method, maybe replacing the businesscard with antiX base. Things could get interesting.

I'm planning on using the same approach.
This formerly sidux box is currently running Kubuntu 9.04 with a bunch of ppa.launchpad stuff, which actually works out pretty well.

The problem being I feel like a Debian traitor.

I had a harddisk die on me a few weeks ago and was getting a little tired of the sidux structure forced upon my reinstall with the inability to use my existing /home users. The distro CD at that point had also fallen behind testing and I didn't really have the time to do the KDE update jig so I said f___ it and used the Kubuntu route as a quick fix.

Anyway it looks as if my work is going to get a little slow by the middle of next week :-( and I plan on returning this box to the Debian sid with smxi fold. :-)

After reading of the recent sidux turmoil I think these forums will attract even more traffic.

A kind of Debian based "non-distro" community formed around a set of modification/installation/maintenance/update scripts. A very interesting development, potentially ground breaking.

Keep up the good work h2 and once again thanks for your time and efforts.

UncleVom
eriefisher
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
@anticapitalista
Thinking the antiX base is an interesting start. Can you provide a link for the manifest? I'm also curious about your sources list.

antix.mepis.com/index.php/Main_Page

antix.freeforums.org/index.php

:: Code ::
######Sidux#######
deb http://sidux.com/debian/ sid main contrib non-free firmware fix.main fix.contrib fix.non-free 

###### Debian Unstable/Sid ##########
###### Use at your own risk! ########
deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free   
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ unstable main 

There are more but this all that's in use. I also use a Liquorix kernel regularly which works perfectly.
deach
Reply Quote
Ok so let me get this straight. I don't want to re-install anything, but there's a way to (switch if you will) from sidux to something else? I've run anti-x in the past just went to something else when I got a faster computer (ok ok I know I know) anyway maybe it's time to come back...Everything I have is working after some work, but I'm not liking the way things are heading from sidux. Thanks.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
www.mepisimo.com/antix/installed-M8-base.txt

for list of apps in antiX-M8-base.

antiX-M8.2-base will be ready in a short while and it is a better choice as it removes mepis-init so antiX is more Debian compliant.
(Removing mepis-init via apt-get will render your antiX unbootable as mepis-init removes some files)

The advantage of starting with antiX-base is that it sets up X easily and install is a doddle. The disadvantage is that it doesn't use the standard Debian way to configure X, fstab grub, but MEPIS. This can be changed on install of course.
deach
Reply Quote
Ok anti thanks. For now I'll follow your advise in the other post and worry about changing later.
Page: 1, 2  Next