Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
Updated after fixing silly svn. 1.8.4 now live with improved sensors line, that makes it match also better the raid line.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Large update to man page, it's more of a man page, and has actual information and methods etc in it that the help menu does not have.

Also reformatted it to be more color coded re options and commands.

Added a few new features to inxi, -xxx now shows desktop extra software information, like gnome-panel, kicker, mate-panel, and some others.

Added in to -xx dm type running, or shows startx if startx was used to start desktop.

:: Code ::
System:   Host siductionbox Kernel 3.1-6.towo.2-siduction-686 i686 (32 bit, gcc 4.6.2)
           Desktop KDE 4.8.3 (Qt 4.8.2) info plasma-desktop dm kdm Distro siduction 11.1 One Step Beyond - kde - (201112302148)

Added in i3 desktop/wm to supported list.

Lots of fun stuff, as of 1.8.9. New tarball and gz for man page.

If you want to install the man page and don't have the package inxi that has the man, you can do this:

as root:
wget -O /usr/share/man/man8/inxi.8.gz http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi.8.gz

then type in : man inxi
and there you have it.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
inxi -U as of 1.8.10 will now install/update the man page, as long as you have a directory: /usr/share/man/man8

You have to run inxi -U as root for that to work, but if you aren't root, that's fine, inxi will just give you an error message on the man update part of the script update process, and quit.

The regular -U operation goes unchanged, whatever you did before, will work now, but man update will only work if the regular inxi update worked with no errors.

If you have less than inxi 1.8.10 currently, you have to do the -U twice, first to get the current inxi, with the man page download/installer, next to actually get the man page.

and there you have it.
nubbel
Reply Quote
:: anonymous_user wrote ::
1. Would it be possible for inxi to show memory speed or even show per module info like:

Module 1: DDR2 800MHz Module 2: DDR2 667MHz[/b]

Is the output of lshw -class memory what you are looking for?
  *-memory
       description: System Memory
       physical id: 19
       slot: System board or motherboard
       size: 8GiB
     *-bank:0
          description: SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz (0,8 ns)
          product: JM1333KSN-8GK
          vendor: Transcend Information
          physical id: 0
          serial: 00XXXXXX
          slot: Bottom-Slot 1(top)
          size: 4GiB
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)
     *-bank:1
          description: SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz (0,8 ns)
          product: JM1333KSN-8GK
          vendor: Transcend Information
          physical id: 1
          serial: 00XXXXXX
          slot: Bottom-Slot 2(under)
          size: 4GiB
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 1333MHz (0.8ns)

Yours

Nubbel
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I tried that as root and regular user, regular user gets almost no usable data, and is stunningly slow to respond.

root has a lot of data, but is also stunningly slow to respond, usually when I hit tools that work this poorly and slowly, I've tried to get the data directly from /sys but sadly, memory, with certain very limited exceptions, eec for example, is not particularly indicated in /sys.

However, given I've been debating an -m option for memory, if there's a faster way to get this data, it might be worth it just to have it for root user. To me it's almost comical when bash querying /sys directly is far faster than a C app doing something, no idea what lshw actually does technically though. That's not a standard linux package, as in being installed on most systems, in other words, it would be another new recommends for inxi, I also try to avoid adding features that up the dependencies/recommends for inxi, but sometimes if there is absolutely no other way around it, we'll do it, but it's rare that there is no other way around it.

I actually do not understand why ram is not in /sys, but the only time you see it there is when it's EEC ram.

We'd discussed using lshw a long time ago, but now I remember why we decided against it, it's really slow, and a lot of the operations need root to get the data, and most of those you can get from /sys directly if you know how to do it, and faster. Just not, grr, ram.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
support added for window maker, wm2, and wmii2 in system line(s), desktop type.

The first two were an oversight, I believe I thought that wmii would cover them, but it doesn't.

wm2 has no way I could find to detect its actual version number, so that will remain blank or N/A.

version 1.8.27
techAdmin
Reply Quote
By request, inxi now has a changelog file, as of inxi 1.8.29

This is the direct raw file download location:

inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi.changelog

and the svn source page:
code.google.com/p/inxi/source/browse/trunk/inxi.changelog

this file is now also included in the inxi.tar.gz tarball with inxi and the inxi.1.gz man page for convenience of maintainers.

How exciting. Or not.

Please note: if you by any chance were using the version data for another script, the output has changed, the first line is now like this:

inxi --version
inxi 1.8.31-00 (January 23 2013)

techAdmin
Reply Quote
More useless features!!! with inxi -Ixx inxi will now show if not running in irc either, if in X, what it's running in, like gterm, xfce4-terminal, kate, etc, or if out of X, the tty and tty number it's running in. I know -S already shows tty number, but I think these are different lines and functions plus it's just nice to see at a glance you're in tty x for the client data.

inxi -Ixx
Info:      Processes: 117 Uptime: 7 days Memory: 817.8/3964.4MB Runlevel: 3 Gcc sys: 4.1.3 alt: 4.3/4.4
           Client: Shell (bash 4.1.5 running in tty 0) inxi: 1.8.34

## or:
Info:      Processes: 268 Uptime: 6:41 Memory: 3058.4/4048.5MB Runlevel: 3 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 alt: 4.0/4.2/4.4/4.5/4.6
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37 running in konsole) inxi: 1.8.34

techAdmin
Reply Quote
Unit193 kindly created a ppa for inxi, supports currently only precise/quantel ubuntu.

To add and install inxi:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:unit193/inxi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install inxi

techAdmin
Reply Quote
New options: -w for weather. This will create a new line, called, obviously, Weather. with no -x, -xx, -xxx it shows the basic weather and system time of the machine.

-x adds Wind speed and time zone, and puts it onto two lines.
-xx adds Humidity, barometric pressure.
-xxx Location (uses -z/irc filter), weather observation time, wind chill, heat index, dew point. The last 3 appear on a new line of their own if any one of them are present.

This lets you check the weather of remote machines, which can be convenient. And now no more wondering what time zone to use in your programming on a remote server.

A new companion option lets you check the weather at other locations:

-! location=<location> <location> can be any of the following: city,state<,country> where only ascii characters are used, and any spaces in the city/state/country name are replaced by a '+' sign. inxi cannot do this replacement for you, sorry.

Also accepts zip/postal code, at least in the usa, not sure about elsewhere in the world, and latitude,longitude. city,state and latitude,longitude must be entered with no spaces around the , and use no spaces around the = sign, and also, -! location= must have a space between the -! and the location word.

The bugs have been roughly worked out on this now.

Both features can be disabled, including the help menu output, by setting the maintainer flag:
B_ALLOW_WEATHER='true'
to
B_ALLOW_WEATHER='false'

In order to get wan ip data and weather data, wget is used, and I've added the option for configuration file overrides of the default time:
WGET_TIMEOUT=8

as with other config items, just add that to the config file(s) you use, and edit the time, and the change will be permanent. Some users have very slow dns resolution and isps, so they may need that time longer, if you get a failure of -w or -i, you probably need to change the timeout to a longer time.

Both new options tested and working on bsd, at least freebsd. While I don't know how much time I'll spend on bsd support for the areas it's still missing due to a fairly loud lack of interest publicly, and a somewhat absurd degree of variation in data collection tools between the bsds (imagine if lspci had a different name and syntax for each linux distribution out there and you somewhat get an idea of the scope of the problem), I will where practical make sure to keep bsd support current for new features. I may also add in freebsd support for specific features and just ignore the other bsds, I'm not sure yet how to handle that, but it's certainly on the back burner at this point re full bsd inxi support.

New tarball,man pages, etc.

inxi is also being prepared, finally, for inclusion in the primary debian pool, after some last minute lintian cleanup, at least that is the report.

From debian it will also then enter ubuntu within some months I assume, so that basically covers most of the distros give or take, though some are only available via a third party package repo.

I'll keep you posted about when it actually enters debian, but the mentor/maintainer has already agreed to do it, and there's another guy who is already packaging it and has done the lintian stuff on it too so it's close to ready to go.

My initial roadmap had -M memory / ram option and -w slated for 1.9 release, but I am too busy with work etc to do the ram/memory option, which will involve a lot of data collection and random output handling if experience is any teacher of major new features. 2.0 was supposed to be bsd and ram all done, but I'm going to leave bsd incomplete until someone shows real interest or contributes working and tested inxi compatible patches, and ram will I believe then be the either 1.10.0 or 2.0.0 release. I'll see what people think. The idea for making that 2.0 was that it would offer complete bsd support where possible for all lines, so it would actually be a full version re features, but I now don't see that happening any time in the near future.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next