Setting different screen resolutions on dual monitor - mepis
jeffd
Reply Quote
Some useful information on mepis.org forums on how to create different screen resolutions for dual monitor displays.

:: Quote ::
If you're using TwinView dual monitor mode, you should be able to do this with a MetaModes string in the Device section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (or whatever your X configuration file is),

I won't try to paraphrase this since all the information will be relevant to solving this problem.

I'm getting tempted to give mepis another try, kanotix still doesn't have the upgrade / dist-upgrade issues resolved currently, last install I did the system died more or less, at least KDE died. Not something I feel like dealing with at the moment although I'm sure Kano, with his usual skill, will get these issues ironed out fairly soon.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
I just wasn't comfortable in the mepis i-face "feel". Too bad, because I've read a lot of things that indicate the hardware problems I'm having in kanotix (no recognition of dual screens, no modem recog) are less obstreperous in mepis. I might still give SUSE a shot after the hols.... it gets good reviews for stuff like modems and dual monitors too.
jeffd
Reply Quote
there was an interesting discussion - read the comments especially, about debian as a desktop, some debian site, and all these guys kept going, hey, give mepis a try if you want a good kde desktop, made me think on it a bit. I'm lazy I have to admit, so having all that stuff installed already is appealing, and it's quite close to debian, non of that ubuntu fork stuff, that's just not a good idea as far as I'm concerned, the world doesn't need more distros anymore, it needs distros where it all works, consistently.

Plus I just don't like gnome, its file manager sucks. If you follow all the links from that topic there's a funny full moon type flame fest between Linus and some of the Gnome team... have to say I agree with Linus, Gnome has taken a really weird tangent with its minimalism and lack of features, I much prefer KDE, that's a power user thing. Gnome always makes me feel like you have to go to the command line to do anything interesting.

People accuse KDE of being too windows like, but from where I stand, it's been MS Windows that has been developing consumer windowing systems at a very high level for the last 10 years, not Linux. So maybe using some of those ideas isn't all that bad of an idea. KDE is much slower though, that's true.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Apples and oranges in a way.... in re "slow": if you're on a decent relatively new desktop, kde isn't slow. It's all relative, and if you (keep my usual "generalism" in mind there, okay?) can differentiate millionths of a second, you are WAY better than I am.

I'm reading off and on, buried under year-end client cr#p as usual. However, I am NOT working for anyone but ME this time around so that's an improvement, and client cr#p is part of the package.... life is made up of trade-offs and compromises....