boot up without keyboard
mad_horse
Reply Quote
If I am running router or server on Compaq Deskpro EN (PIII 733 mHz, Motherboard Compaq 187498-001, Bios: Compaq Basic 09/13/02 686P2 v 3.14) how to boot up with unplugged keyboard? There is not option in Bios settings: "System boot stops for any errors except keyboard error". In POST screen it always shows: "304-Keyboard Error". Thanks
techAdmin
Reply Quote
those proprietary bioses are very annoying, and always extremely limited in what they can do.

I assume you're trying to use the box to run linux as a server or whatever, no?

If so, you won't need to reboot it, so you should be able to just plugin the keyboard, boot, then pull it out.

I can't think of a real way to do it though, every time I see a dell/hp/compaq or whatever bios I'm always amazed at how little it lets you do.

I suppose you could flash the bios if you can get a clean match to some mobo chipset or other, but there's a risk of permanent failure with that, I wouldn't do it just to avoid uplugging the keyboard one time.

If you haven't already done so, check out running linux on a linksys router, that one is by Erik Raymond. There's a good in depth discussion at wifiplanet.com, they also ran a two part series on running linksys WRT54GS routers part 1 and part 2. More at newsforge.com. You'll also need to make sure the router has the correct internals.

Anyway, that's just an aside, wouldn't do much as a server of course since it's all running from flash memory and ram, but it's an interesting little thing people do.
mad_horse
Reply Quote
Thanks, techAdmin

Yes, it is Linux I'm running and need remote reboot availability and boot up after power loss, so now it's fixed.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/sp0667.zip
NO_F1.COM allows operation without a keyboard of those models of Compaq computers that do not support network server mode.
Thanks to Jorg from Netherlands in [new user link] <mod, fixed url>
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Good to hear that there is a solution, and a great link to the vintage computer forums, I'll have to add that one to a hardware resource list at some point, that's a good resource.
cygnl7
Reply Quote
For those who run across this like I did with more questions:

1 - With "newer" (but really not so new, eh? :) ) Deskpros there is an option (mentioned above) for "Network Server Mode" but to access it you must set a Power-On Password in the BIOS first. This will enable the keyboard-less operation.

2 - For those looking to have the machine turn on/boot automatically when power is restored after a power loss there is a switch "SW1" on which a setting must be changed. Once S6 is set to ON it will power up as expected. At least that is how mine was. There is a label on the inside of the case that explained it all.
boot without keyboard
jursoleo
Reply Quote
www.versalent.biz/keylim.htm
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Normally we don't allow any promotional links, but we're going to make a single exception to that rule here, since the product actually appears to be real, and to actually meet the requirements posted on this thread.

But in general, we will remove any promotional postings immediately, as a matter of policy.
promotional link
jursoleo
Reply Quote
Sorry .. guess I didn't read the fine print. But thanks for letting the link stay.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
looks like a cool gadget too, by the way, nice ;-)

Hope you do well with it.