Page: 1, 2  Next

Kanotix - and lovin' it! But....
vkaryl
Reply Quote
I'd really like to install it in its own "space" on my system. I have a 40 gig drive set aside for linux, but looking at the "live" Kanotix cd I have, I can't see how to install it.

So I'm obviously missing the obvious, which is it needs doing from command line. That's fine. But I have not one clue what to "tell it"....

Help?

And as always, thanks guys!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Hi Vkaryl, installing Kanotix is pretty easy [src and you can read hard drive installation from the Kanotix forums directly]:

:: Quote ::
If you want to install Kanotix on your PC, simply boot to your Kanotix CD as you normally would, open the Kanotix menu and the Tools submenu, then select Root Terminal.

All major actions in Linux occur in root mode. Usually you'd have to put in the root password at this point, to do anything at root mode, but since this is a live cd, you get to skip that step, and go straight to the root terminal. Don't be confused with the syntax, the root terminal is the same as the regular terminal, only you start it with root privileges.

The Linux terminal is pretty much the same as the fake dos terminal window on windows 2000 and XP, only much better, and much more powerful. It's also nicer looking.

Type kanotix-installer and press Enter. At the Kanotix Installation main menu, just to confuse you, you must select option three first to partition your hard drive.

In other words, your terminal is open, you're logged in as root, and you type in [everything after 'root#':

:: Code ::
root# kanotix-installer

and hit enter. The command line is much less intimidating than it sounds.

When you select this option, the Kanotix installer launches an easy to use, graphical program called QTParted that allows you to set up your partition tables. If you already have a Windows NTFS partition that you wish to keep, QTParted can resize it.

If you have ever used Partition Magic, QTParted will look familiar to you. Make sure to commit the changes once you've partitioned the disk by the way.

For those who have never installed GNU/Linux before, it requires two partitions: One for the root (/) and one for swap. The swap partition should be anywhere from 128MB to 512MB generally, depending on how much RAM you have.

But feel free to use a gig, it really doesn't matter much. Remember, make hdb1 the swap partition, say 512 mB, hdb2 /, that's the root partition, make it say 8 gigabytes, and if there is the option, make hdb3 /home. You could also make 3 primary partition right now, hdb1 swap, hdb2 /, and hdb3 an extended partition, for storing the rest of the linux partitions you might want to install. Then hdb4 would be /home, and you'd leave the other 20 gig or so empty for future use.

Actually, if you are using 1 gig of ram, there's no reason to make swap any bigger than 512 mB, it will never get used anyway.

After you write the partitions to disk, quitting QTParted should bring you back to the initial Kanotix Installer menu. Now you may select option one and configure the install. From the next menu, I suggest you choose the beginner install. Answering the simple questions provided should be no problem, except when it comes to the boot loader. If you have Microsoft Windows installed and you wish to be able to boot both Windows and Linux, then you must install to the Master Boot Record. If you have another boot loader already set up, chances are you will just want to install to root partition and point the other boot loader there.

Make sure to create a boot floppy disk if Kanotix gives you that option, can't remember if it does. If you ever install say another Windows or XP SP 2, it will overwrite your master boot record. You can always create a boot floppy from the command line after you install kanotix though so it's not a big deal if you don't see that option during installation.

Note on Linux terminology
By the way, anyone who works routinely with the web, especially if you use real webservers like Apache on Linux/Unix etc, is already much more familiar than they realize with Linux command syntax.

For example, on your website, you have the / root, and on linux/unix you have the same exact filesystem, the / is the very root of your filesystem. Why is this? It's simple, the web was built on Unix from the ground up.

/home is where user data is stored, just like on most good web servers. There are other places its stored, but for now that's a good reference.

The paths are also the same, ../ means one level up, /home/path/file.txt is just like on a website, again, unix and the web and websites are the same thing.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
O-KAY! That doesn't sound so bad (keeping firmly in mind that it's been 20 years since I was a whiz with dos....)

I'll print that, connect through my laptop to your link to "src", and should be good to go. If I have trouble I'll report back, but your instructions make sense already, so I think I'll be fine.

I knew I'd have to partition first. There won't be an NTFS partition on the drive. I WILL have to install to the master boot record as I'm not already dual-booting anything, so no boot loader....

Yes, I had noted already that much of the terminology was familiar from my web-centricity the last 10 years or so. I had NO clue about "terminal" however, and LESS than no clue about root terminal!

Thanks - I appreciate the hand-holding NO END!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Among other things Windows is hiding from you is the fact that you do in fact have a boot loader, it's located in your hard drive 0 master boot sector, and on c: you can see the rest of it, it's a collection of files, boot.ini, NTLDR, and a few others.

If you opened up boot.ini, you'd see the boot parameters, and if you added a time delay parameter you'd see the boot loader on each boot.

When Kanotix installs, it will overwrite the disk 0, master boot record, what your bios uses to boot up your system, with grub boot loader, that's fine though, it's a better boot loader than the windows one anyway, by a big margin.

Re terminal: actually, if you've ever SSHed into a webserver, that's secure shell, you've been running a remote access terminal.

Note: Install all peripherals
It's easier to get Linux to find your outboard stuff on install than after, so make sure it's all attached, modem, scanner, printer etc.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Yeah, figures.... brings up a question: with the laptop running and connected to the 'net, will that cause any problems with the network discovery/setup?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Here's more from the Kanotix site, Hard drive installation:

4. Once you are at the Grub Boot prompt, select the type of kanotix that works best for you to load, if you wish for your harddrive installation to have ALSA sound support then I recommend you select “ACPI on – DMA on - English” that includes ALSA support. This will allow Kanotix to autodetect sound settings for ALSA and install them if and so you choose to do a harddrive installation. There are cheat codes you can use by editing the boot parameter, but for the most part those listed options work for everyone. Now hit enter and kanotix will load up as a livecd. It is recommended you select the option containing alsa for best results.

I'm not sure if this is the same in the new 2005-3 release by the way, not sure, Kanotix is a german distro so you might want to see if these options are available, I think it doesn't matter though. You do want ALSA sound though, that's the new Linux sound driver.

Section 3: Configuring and Installing Kanotix to the Hard Disk Drive

1. Open a konsole window, there is a also a little window with white border and black inside on your toolbar too which is a link to konsole.

Konsole = console = terminal window, KDE puts 'k's in front of all their program names, it's cute.

2. At the prompt type "sudo kanotix-installer".

sudo is how you access root mode in live cds often, it just means drop me into super user, root mode for this option.

3. Your hard disk drive should have been partitioned and if so desired a swap partition created. I'm not going to cover this right now. Maybe when I modify the this documentation later. And Intro window will have popped up, select “Ok”.

I assume he added QTParted since writing this.

4. Select "Configure Installation", and hit "Enter".

5. Now you will see 3 options in the menu; “Debian: Debian-like system (recommended)”, “Beginner: Multi-User System with hw-detection”, and Knoppix: Kanotix system like from cd”. You want to select the first option which is “Debian: Debian-like system (recommended)”, and hit “Enter”.

6. Now you will have the option of installing kanotix to the partition you want to install it to. It is recommended that you install it on a partition with at least 4 gigs of space to allow for growth, however 3 gigs is the bare minimum. The selection will look like "/dev/hdaX" where X is the partition number usually 1 or greater. Select the partition you wish to install on and Hit "Enter".

7. Now you will be at the choose file system-type menu, you will have 3 options; “EXT3: Extended 2 filesystem with journal support”, “ReiserFS: ReiserFS 3.6: journaling filesystem developed by Namesys”, and JFS: Journaling filesystem developed by IBM”. We recommend you select the 2nd option “ReiserFS: ReiserFS 3.6: journaling filesystem developed by Namesys” and hit enter.

I recommend you choose ReiserFS for your / and /home

8. Now you will be at a prompt that says "Input your whole name (name surname)", Enter your First name and your last name here, and hit "Enter".

9. Now you will be at a prompt that says "Input your username (perhaps you like xxxxxx)", it will offer a username suggestions based on the first two letters of your first name and and your last name tacked on. Enter the username you want and hit "Enter".

10. You will be asked to enter a password for this username twice, enter the same one twice using tab to move to the next one and hit "Enter" after the last one.

11. Here you are asked for a administration password, this will be your root password. Do the same as the last step, but instead enter a different password if you like which is recommended.

Or just use the same password, it's easier to remember, make it a real password, like d4qU9fG or something.

12. Next you will see "Input your preferred hostname", this is the name your computer will be identified by other computers by if you wish to share a linux or windows network. Note: No spaces in the hostname, no umlauts, no special character, no number as first char. Enter a name here, and hit "Enter".

13. Next you will be asked "Choose where the boot loader (grub) shall be installed. Select "mbr: master boot record", and select "Next". If you use a different bootloader and wish to continue to use a different bootloader then of course installing grub to mbr is a bad idea, the best option here is to install it to partition IF this is the case.

14. Now you are done the Configuration part of the installer. (Your almost done!)

15. Now select "Start Installation", and select "Ok". You will be presented with a configuration info window, you will be asked “Do you wish to proceed with these parameters? You will click on “Next”. The installation will start and will take between 10 to 30 minutes maximum depending on your system.

16. You will be asked to “Please insert now an empty floppy disk into your floppy drive. Warning: All data on it will be lost. if you don't want to create a disk you can choose no.” If you wish to create a boot disk, of which I recommend you do so. So I would insert a disk and select "yes". This part is only necessary just in case you have problems with the bootloader you installed on the harddrive.

17. It should end off saying "Kanotix was successfully installed to hd." Click “Ok”.

18. YOU'RE DONE, Enjoy!

And that's it, Kanotix is pretty easy to install, but I've played around with enough Linuxes to have lost a certain being at a loss when I see things, so it's hard to say for me how easy or hard it actually is for someone who hasn't installed a linux before to get it installed. If you consider drivers in Windows, I'd say it's easier by quite a bit than installing Windows on most machines, assuming all your hardware is correctly detected.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
COOL! I LOVE information.... printing that one too....

I figured out that choice at the grub prompt.... only one that made sense to me....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'd print it again, I just edited it while you were typing.

brings up a question: with the laptop running and connected to the 'net, will that cause any problems with the network discovery/setup?

Possibly, but Kanotix is pretty well done, so if you are able to connect with external modem then you will be able to get Kanotix running, although you might have to do some tweaking, Linux and modems aren't the best friends in the world.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Yup, so I see. Will do....
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Okay, that was easy. Thanks again for the handholding.

Now I'm starting a new thread for my new selection of questions....
Page: 1, 2  Next