[RESOLVED] Find former versions
ubuntu2004_user
Reply Quote
Hello, is there a way to access older versions of the linux images/headers?

It seems that only >= 6.4 versions are accessible on https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix/, while I'm searching for the 6.3.x ones (that would be compatible with Ubuntu 20.04).

For instance, https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix/linux-headers-6.3.8-1-liquorix-amd64_6.3-8.1~sid_amd64.deb gives a 404.

Thank you in advance for your help
damentz
Reply Quote
If you desire an older kernel, I recommend you follow the instructions on the liquorix-package project to build one for your desired version: github.com/damentz/liquorix-package

Older versions are not kept since storage costs money and it's cheap to build whatever version you need at any time.
ubuntu2004_user
Reply Quote
Thank you for your answer! I understand, but keeping one built version compatible with Ubuntu 20.04 could have been useful...
I tried to build from the GH repository, but encountered errors:
[...]
signfile linux-liquorix_6.3-8ubuntu1~focal.dsc
gpg: skipped "Steven Barrett <steven@liquorix.net>": No secret key
gpg: dpkg-sign.lFDbmjRS/linux-liquorix_6.3-8ubuntu1~focal.dsc: clear-sign failed: No secret key

dpkg-buildpackage: error: failed to sign .dsc file

Should we talk about it here, or is it better to continue on GitHub in an issue?

Thank you very much
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You may not fully understand the issue here:

Keeping an archive of older kernels incurs the cost of storing those, and the time/energy of maintaining and keeping them, and tracking all the distros that freeze their pools.

I archive for Debian, but not for Ubuntu, and I only do it when I feel like it, and they are only installable via smxi, which does not, and never will, support Ubuntu, for practical real life reasons, like the above time, energy, effort.

What damentz is trying to tell you is if you have a wish for something like this, you have to do the work, and if you don't want to do the work, then basically what it boils down to is you are asking someone else to do something you are not yourself willing to do. Think about that for a minute.

I make for example zero effort to ensure any compatibility between the archived kernels I store and smxi delivers and any specific frozen pool version of Debian, and even less than zero effort to try to then also track Ubuntu.

Basically Liquorix is a rolling release kernel, it expects to be run on current systems, within reason.

There has been one or two people over the years who did in fact package and maintain liquorix for older systems, and they actually did that for quite a while, but it's time, effort, work, and they stopped, I forget why, I'm sure the reason was good. Steve Pusser I think was the guy who did it longest, hats off to him, I think mainly for MX, his distro. But not for anything else non Debian as far as I can remember.

So it works like this;
setup a PPA, learn how to create Ubuntu packages, compile the kernels, store them on your server or wherever, deal with bug reports and issues (because if it is an older version of Liquorix, it's of course not supported by damentz, he only supports the current release). If you think this is too much work, that's basically what you are suggesting someone else do for you. You might be able to simply archive the liquorix kernels as they are released, that's roughly how I do it, then track which is the last that works on a specific frozen pool version of Ubuntu. But I promise you, the first non correctable bug report you get will make this seem far less appealing of an idea than it might have initially. That's because there would be no recourse, upstream has moved on to current kernel, and any security etc issues aren't going to get rolled back.

This is why users of frozen pool distros should in general not use liquorix as a rule, except for the case where they are using one that is a fast cycle, like every 6 months, and always upgrade to next version when it comes out. Then you might get away with it usually.

Doing stuff like this over years is a time suck, pure and simple.
damentz
Reply Quote
All of techAdmin's points stand. It's your duty to keep your OS up-to-date if you want to use a kernel that tracks mainline. Asking for old kernels is a workaround, not a solution. In order to keep Liquorix time and costs under control, I don't support workarounds.

However, considering there's so many Ubuntu Focal / 20.04 users (for a 3 year old LTS!), I built 6.3.13 (last 6.3 release), and published it to the PPA. It's not supported and is just there in-case it works, but there you go if you want to use an ancient LTS with Liquorix.

Will mark this as resolved.