Bcachefs availability
Asan
Reply Quote
Hello!

What is a status of bcachefs integration into the liquorix kernel? There were patches suggested: [link]

What is a preferred behavior of patching liquorix kernel? What are the options to make bcachefs available?

Best regards
Asan
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Just out of curiosity, what was the result/outcome of those suggested patches? Were they rejected because bcachefs isn't stable enough? if so, that would probably be your answer re liquorix.
Asan
Reply Quote
There is no outcome. As I understood there are a range of small suggestions and wishes from community that are nice to be done but nothing principal that inferred the approval of patches. There are some discussion on the way the x86 realized but as for me it is not more than discussion and it might not affect the outcome of patches.

I found a way to make patch file for any particular kernel, but compilation is failed. To take a patch file one can download the git diff using this template
:: Code ::
https://evilpiepirate.org/git/bcachefs.git/rawdiff/?id=${latestcommit}&id2=${basecommit}
. I prepared diff for kernel 6.3 and put it to the patches directory of the 'liquorix-package' project environment, with adding its path to the 'series' file. But some problems with gpg keys caused the kernel building to fail.
The bcachefs project seems to be mature to be included in kernel for some people to use it if they wish. Of cause, on their own risk. It may be selected to 'n' by default. The patching and recompiling is very tricky process that does not always go well. So the availability of bcachefs in liquorix or zen kernels would be a good opportunity to configure storage for performance for those who don't wish to deal with lvm cache and have no opportunity for programmed RAID.
damentz
Reply Quote
Filesystems are the most dangerous out-of-tree filesystems to add before they're upstreamed. It could be that bcachefs never goes upstream for a variety of reasons, and if Liquorix carries it for a few releases then drops, that leaves a lot of users without a way forward.

Case in point, I get about 3 posts a year about how a kernel update to Liquorix broke ZFS. Not my problem, the ZFS maintainers don't care about the latest kernel releases so the fact it works at all is a miracle.

However, if you still intend to add bcachefs to your own kernel, the official post [1] for v6.3 mentions the branch you want to use: evilpiepirate.org/git/bcachefs.git/log/?h=bcachefs-for-upstream.

Also important to note, there's a massive number of outstanding bugs on the github page [2]. A quick glance tells me this is mostly academic and experimental at this point, not meant for actual production or daily use other than for testing for development purposes.

[1] lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230509165657.1735798-1-kent.overstreet@linux.dev/
[2] github.com/koverstreet/bcachefs/issues